Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-08-2014, 16:12   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Staysail Stay Tension

Hello Cruisers,

After a bit of thought, I felt I should start a new thread, though this does follow on from the well answered thread I posed on maintaining tension on running backstays.

In that thread I asked about the effects of removing the very robust highfield levers on my running backstays and replacing them with a block and tackle setup.

Roll the clock forward and I have had a chance to put into practice SOME of the advice from that thread. But in doing so, I ran into a different question.

The old setup had highfield levers on both running backstays and the staysail stay. These were/are monstrous big things and allow a LOT of tension to be put on the stays. Much, much more tension than I can get out of anything I do with the four to one block and tackle arrangement that I am attempting to use instead, unless I bring the line from the block and tackle to the winch, and then I run into other problems, including an inability to easily release the line from the cam cleat on the lower block.

But from my other thread I think I understood that I should not need that much tension anyway, and that I had not completely understood the function of the running backstays. I felt they needed lots of tension whereas they were really just to prevent deflection of the mast from the staysail stay tension.

Well, applying Anne's advice, I sighted along the front of our "telephone pole" mast and discovered there is a slight, but noticeable bend in the mast being induced by the staysail stay, even before I attach and tension the staysail itself. This is hardly surprising when I think about it, as I still have one monster highfield lever on the staysail stay, and it makes the staysail stay super, super tight. If I release it, the mast comes back to shape nicely, but no matter what I do, I cannot counter that force with the running backstays without the highfield levers at the back.

So, at this point I am assuming I have too much tension on the staysail stay, and that I need to release it a little, but how much tension should I have? Should I be aiming for a similar sort of tension to that I can obtain from the 4:1 blocks that I have hauled on manually? Should the bulk of the tension really come from the luff of the staysail?

For what it is worth, the staysail stay comes to a point about 2/3 the way up our 50' mast and is parallel with our twin forestays. The "J" of the staysail is about 3/4 of the distance from the base of the mast to the mounting points of the running backstays, so in other words, the running backstays have a better effective angle to counter the forward pull of the staysail stay.

Confused, but feeling like I am closer to getting this one right...

Matt

Tags
sail