Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 14:32   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Spinnacker cloth weight

I am contemplating installing an asymetrical spinnacker on my Catalina 36 MKII. The sail will not be used for racing and will be on a top-down furler. Most of my sailing will be around Victoria, BC and I was looking for a sail that is comfortable to run up to 12 knts apparent. Most of my sailing is single handed.
My local sail maker quoted on a 1050 sq ft sail using .75 oz material. All the sails of that size that are normally advertised on the internet are 1.5 oz material. My sail maker tells me that 1.5 oz material is likely too heavy for the light air that we frequently have here and will require close to 10 knts to fly properly. The majority of conditions I sail in will be from 5 knt to 12 knt and the .75 oz material is supposedly good to 20 knts.
I have never flown a spinnacker and have no idea what weight cloth would be appropriate. I am also a bit concerned about .75 oz material being fragile - running single handed and having never flown a spinnacker, I am likely to make mistakes ....
Lastly, my sail maker says that 1.5 oz is appropriate for an off shore boat but most of my sailing will be coastal with occasional jaunts out into the Straight of Juan de Fuca.
Oh, I would be using a Selden GX15 furler and an 87 mm Selden retractable bow spirit.
Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 15:06   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Spinnacker cloth weight

I think you'll be happier with the 3/4 oz material. I had 1.5 oz for my 12.5 ton IP 380, and it was great to have the heavier fabric in 15-20 knots, but for your 12 knots and below, I think you'll prefer the lighter weight.
Old 02-09-2013, 15:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

1.5 oz is heavy for a spinnaker. My "shy kite" (small high-wind spinnaker) is 1.5 oz. A light-air spinnaker will be 0.75 or less. I think your sailmaker is giving you good advice. It will be hard to keep the heavier sail flying in the lighter winds you are planning for.

Since you're not racing, you might as well get the lighter spinnaker. It works well in light air, is easier to handle, and you won't be flying it in heavier wind.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 16:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A light air spinnaker will actually be .5oz material. Good for very light winds but easily blown out if left up too long in an increasing wind. .75oz is a standard all purpose weight for a spinnaker and is probably the best for your asym. with the predominantly light air in the PNW. Assume as a

I went with 1.5oz because I wanted a strong sail for blustery conditions on the way to and around the islands here. Needs a bit of wind to keep it flying though will draw down to 5k
relative wind. If I had to do it again, would probably go with .75oz. When the wind kicks up enough to need 1.5oz cloth, I'm pulling down the sock, stowing the Asym and unfurling the jib.

Bet the reason that you see a lot of 1.5oz spinnakers for sale is people find they either don't sail in conditions that need heavier weight cloth or wouldn't run a spinnaker when they do see strong winds.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:17   #5
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Looks like .75 oz is it .... thanks guys !!!!
As a side note: pretty darn rare to have everybody agree
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote