Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2023, 14:21   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: will be in Phuket
Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built
Posts: 154
Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

These https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-GB/uk/products/xtx seem like a great idea, much easier on ropes. Does anyone have any first hand experience?
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 17:14   #2
Registered User
 
Matt Johnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Annapolis MD
Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Posts: 3,017
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
These https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-GB/uk/products/xtx seem like a great idea, much easier on ropes. Does anyone have any first hand experience?
You can find some reviews online. People talked about slipping and requiring trying a few lines before they found one that would hold even when within the size specs. I think it was on sailinganarchy.
__________________
MJSailing - Youtube Vlog -
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 17:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Little Compton, RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 2,623
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

I've seen them in use. One complaint is that they always have a little "take-up," or slight easing of the line before the fabric sock, that's been bunched up as it were while the halyard is hoisted, tightens up around the rope.
They are easy on line, not point-loading any one spot like a clutch, but there's some chafe between sock and halyard when hoisting--you can't run polyester line through technora sock without some friction.
Note these specify "for medium duty," meaning if you're a racer who takes their halyards to the edge of sensible and beyond, you're better off getting a jammer with a ceramic jaw, and having a hefty halyard-replacement budget.
__________________
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 11:40   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: will be in Phuket
Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built
Posts: 154
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I've seen them in use. One complaint is that they always have a little "take-up," or slight easing of the line before the fabric sock, that's been bunched up as it were while the halyard is hoisted, tightens up around the rope.
Interesting and possibly an issue for sheets, however no real issue for a halyard, as long as it doesn't drop too far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Note these specify "for medium duty," meaning if you're a racer who takes their halyards to the edge of sensible and beyond, you're better off getting a jammer with a ceramic jaw, and having a hefty halyard-replacement budget.
I've been a racer all my life (although not any more) and a halyard is simply used for pulling a sail up. You may well stress the boat structure through extreme rig tension (a 49er had a multi-block system to crank down on the mast just to get the forestay attached, before you apply any rig tension...) and/or extreme vang tension. Halyards however do nothing but hold the sails up, they have no need for any excessive tension.
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 03:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Little Compton, RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 2,623
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
Interesting and possibly an issue for sheets, however no real issue for a halyard, as long as it doesn't drop too far...



I've been a racer all my life (although not any more) and a halyard is simply used for pulling a sail up. You may well stress the boat structure through extreme rig tension (a 49er had a multi-block system to crank down on the mast just to get the forestay attached, before you apply any rig tension...) and/or extreme vang tension. Halyards however do nothing but hold the sails up, they have no need for any excessive tension.
The racers who invest in carbon sails disagree: they want some serious luff tension, and complain of the stretch of Dyneema-cored halyards! The really enthusiastic get a lock-bullet, and then the halyard can be lighter, and they need no clutch or jammer.
__________________
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 06:46   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: will be in Phuket
Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built
Posts: 154
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
The racers who invest in carbon sails disagree: they want some serious luff tension, and complain of the stretch of Dyneema-cored halyards! The really enthusiastic get a lock-bullet, and then the halyard can be lighter, and they need no clutch or jammer.
Luff tension is critical I agree as it dramatically changes sail shape but I’d do that with a downhaul/cunningham. Two reasons: 1) you typically have a system with much more mechanical advantage and therefore much more granular adjustment 2) you have a much greater range of adjustment with a separate system. On boats that I’ve sailed, in a blow you’d need a mast about 60cm taller to get sufficient luff tension if you were only using the halyard.

Clearly you need a line that won’t stretch or a clutch that won’t slip but I assume that your point about the Spinlock was that it has a little ‘give’ as it takes up the strain, not that it consistently slips under load?
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 03:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Little Compton, RI
Boat: Cape George 31
Posts: 2,623
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
Luff tension is critical I agree as it dramatically changes sail shape but Id do that with a downhaul/cunningham. Two reasons: 1) you typically have a system with much more mechanical advantage and therefore much more granular adjustment 2) you have a much greater range of adjustment with a separate system. On boats that Ive sailed, in a blow youd need a mast about 60cm taller to get sufficient luff tension if you were only using the halyard.

Clearly you need a line that wont stretch or a clutch that wont slip but I assume that your point about the Spinlock was that it has a little give as it takes up the strain, not that it consistently slips under load?
Even so. Perhaps once that is accounted for by the downhaul, it's good. I'd certainly rather use a soft clutch than a point-loading jammer; even if the line slips a little, it won't tear up the cover.
__________________
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Spinlock XTX Textile rope clutch - any user reports? BigBeakie Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 3 22-09-2021 00:28
For Sale: Spinlock DeckVest W/ Spinlock Tether powsmias General Classifieds (no boats) 1 20-07-2021 08:09
Spinlock Rope Clutch Jacana Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 6 01-04-2012 04:17
Stiff Spinlock Clutch Phoenician Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 2 23-03-2011 22:04

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.