Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2023, 14:21   #1

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built
Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

These https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-GB/uk/products/xtx seem like a great idea, much easier on ropes. Does anyone have any first hand experience?
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 17:14   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Spinlock XTX Soft Grip Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiobe View Post
These https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-GB/uk/products/xtx seem like a great idea, much easier on ropes. Does anyone have any first hand experience?
You can find some reviews online. People talked about slipping and requiring trying a few lines before they found one that would hold even when within the size specs. I think it was on sailinganarchy.
Old 18-03-2023, 17:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've seen them in use. One complaint is that they always have a little "take-up," or slight easing of the line before the fabric sock, that's been bunched up as it were while the halyard is hoisted, tightens up around the rope.
They are easy on line, not point-loading any one spot like a clutch, but there's some chafe between sock and halyard when hoisting--you can't run polyester line through technora sock without some friction.
Note these specify "for medium duty," meaning if you're a racer who takes their halyards to the edge of sensible and beyond, you're better off getting a jammer with a ceramic jaw, and having a hefty halyard-replacement budget.
Old 19-03-2023, 11:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I've seen them in use. One complaint is that they always have a little "take-up," or slight easing of the line before the fabric sock, that's been bunched up as it were while the halyard is hoisted, tightens up around the rope.
Interesting and possibly an issue for sheets, however no real issue for a halyard, as long as it doesn't drop too far...

Quote:
Note these specify "for medium duty," meaning if you're a racer who takes their halyards to the edge of sensible and beyond, you're better off getting a jammer with a ceramic jaw, and having a hefty halyard-replacement budget.
I've been a racer all my life (although not any more) and a halyard is simply used for pulling a sail up. You may well stress the boat structure through extreme rig tension (a 49er had a multi-block system to crank down on the mast just to get the forestay attached, before you apply any rig tension...) and/or extreme vang tension. Halyards however do nothing but hold the sails up, they have no need for any excessive tension.
Old 20-03-2023, 03:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Interesting and possibly an issue for sheets, however no real issue for a halyard, as long as it doesn't drop too far...

I've been a racer all my life (although not any more) and a halyard is simply used for pulling a sail up. You may well stress the boat structure through extreme rig tension (a 49er had a multi-block system to crank down on the mast just to get the forestay attached, before you apply any rig tension...) and/or extreme vang tension. Halyards however do nothing but hold the sails up, they have no need for any excessive tension.
The racers who invest in carbon sails disagree: they want some serious luff tension, and complain of the stretch of Dyneema-cored halyards! The really enthusiastic get a lock-bullet, and then the halyard can be lighter, and they need no clutch or jammer.
Old 20-03-2023, 06:46   #6

Quote:
The racers who invest in carbon sails disagree: they want some serious luff tension, and complain of the stretch of Dyneema-cored halyards! The really enthusiastic get a lock-bullet, and then the halyard can be lighter, and they need no clutch or jammer.
Luff tension is critical I agree as it dramatically changes sail shape but I’d do that with a downhaul/cunningham. Two reasons: 1) you typically have a system with much more mechanical advantage and therefore much more granular adjustment 2) you have a much greater range of adjustment with a separate system. On boats that I’ve sailed, in a blow you’d need a mast about 60cm taller to get sufficient luff tension if you were only using the halyard.

Clearly you need a line that won’t stretch or a clutch that won’t slip but I assume that your point about the Spinlock was that it has a little ‘give’ as it takes up the strain, not that it consistently slips under load?
Old 21-03-2023, 03:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Luff tension is critical I agree as it dramatically changes sail shape but I’d do that with a downhaul/cunningham. Two reasons: 1) you typically have a system with much more mechanical advantage and therefore much more granular adjustment 2) you have a much greater range of adjustment with a separate system. On boats that I’ve sailed, in a blow you’d need a mast about 60cm taller to get sufficient luff tension if you were only using the halyard.

Clearly you need a line that won’t stretch or a clutch that won’t slip but I assume that your point about the Spinlock was that it has a little ‘give’ as it takes up the strain, not that it consistently slips under load?
Even so. Perhaps once that is accounted for by the downhaul, it's good. I'd certainly rather use a soft clutch than a point-loading jammer; even if the line slips a little, it won't tear up the cover.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:32   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I checked these out today and see they are a fancy version of a DIY Universal Constrictor Rope UCR. From a pad eye, a couple of LFR’s and a couple pieces of Dyneema you can make one that is 2:1 purchase too

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch