Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 20:35   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga
Single line reefing - Seldon

I have searched trying to find a thread on this topic but found nothing.

I am retro fitting single line reefing to my Herreshoff H36 cutter rig to bring reefing into the cockpit. I will use a winch so friction is not the key issue. There are two basic choices:

First, retro fit my existing boom with extra blocks on the mast end of the boom so that the same rope goes all the way from the outer end of the boom to the cockpit.

Second, I could purchase a complete Seldon boom with internal cars. Of course, much more expensive.

Two of the riggers I respect recommend against the first option. But, they both sell Seldon booms.

I would value any experience others have on these two options.

Thanks, Jim
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 22:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Single line reefing - Seldon

When I replaced the original roller reefing boom with a new one from US Spars, switched to double line reefing brought back to the cockpit. The internal reefing set up on the boom, sheaves at both ends of the boom, has worked out fabulously. Don't know if adding blocks to an outboard reefing system would work as well.

Purposely did not go with single line reefing. The few smaller boats I'd used it on, it did not work well because of the serpentine run all that line through friction points. When I looked at scaling it up to work on my 16' long boom, didn't have much confidence that it would work. For one thing, the 64' or so of line needed to be hauled for the 3rd reef against a howling wind just didn't look feasible.

Check with other spar mfg's. Got the boom through Mack Saills at a very good price when I ordered a new main.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 23:14   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Single line reefing - Seldon

I set up single line reefing for first and second reef points. I have a Z-Spar mast and boom, which has some of the sheaves at each end of the boom. But I had to add a couple cheek blocks to the boom and mast to set it up, as well as some fairleads to support lines on the boom.

There are several turns to get it all in and then it runs down to some stand up blocks on deck and back to some cam cleats in the cockpit.

Also you'll need an outhaul for each reef point which complicates the boom even more. I have two sets of 5:1 purchase blocks inside the boom which was real fun trying to get set up w/o hang ups.

All this requires a lot of line. Mine is 5/16 & 3/8", so it needs to be well organized. And you'll want to test run it in light air (get the bugs out) before you put it to the test.

On the first and second reef you'll want to run a strap/line around the boom from each clew to keep the clew close to the boom. The outhaul will just allow the clew to pull away from the centerline of the boom.

Mine is a loose footed mainsail and I have storable lazyjacks to add to the mess. But it all works.

Tags
single