Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 20:20   #16

Re: Shortened boom & main foot on a cutter, effects?

Today was the sea trial on this Willard 30, and I am happy to report that the boat was a dream to sail. Well-behaved, well-balanced, not too tender or too stiff, pointed *beautifully* very close to the wind, just way beyond expectations! Thank you to everyone for helping me know what to look for. The new fully-battened main does not have much roach at all, so I was concerned that the reduced area on that sail would result in lee helm...but in fact there was a very very slight weather helm if anything! Mostly it was just superbly balanced (which would seem to validate those who thought that this change might have been made by the PO to correct weather helm or some other condition). The boat was nearly effortless to sail even in light, squirrely winds. The mid-boom cabin-top sheeting was just fine, all very well-configured. Winds were very light. Even gusts did not get over 7-8 knots today, so no major stress test--but it all worked great and the boat surpassed our expectations especially in these light winds. We were moving along at 5 knots in such light winds, we were amazed. The few major gusts that we had did not cause any heel, so that's promising. If the survey goes well, this will be our new blue-water home. Thanks again to everyone who replied!
simplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The boom was probably shortened to eliminate excessive weather helm. It's all about sail balance and the original sailplan is just a "snapshot in time"... in other words it will only be perfectly balanced (if ever that) under one wind speed and one sail plan. Your sail plan is a variable tool. The shortened boom probably only changed things a minor amount... less than reefing the main. I prefer a boat with a neutral helm. ALways have... and if I buy sails or adjust a rig that is my goal. I hate weather helm.
If you reef your main you change the balance, If you change or furl your headsail you change your blance, if you flatten the main you change your balance. Odd's might be good that if the PO added a nice Battened mainsail that the changes he made were all for the better. You'l know soon!
Not all sailplans produced by a designer worked out very well! I once had a boat designed by a guy who taught at the marine school. That boat became unsteerable on a close reach in 20 knots of wind.... so bad that I broke a brand new steering cable trying to turn it! It was a hull shape issue not sail plan issue.
You were right, it seems! The changes made by the PO of this Willard were certainly were not detrimental, and almost certainly corrected or improved upon the sail plan. It's hard to imagine that it could have been better than this before. It was so balanced, we're very hopeful that even in strong winds it will be a joy to sail, as it was today. I like what you said about the sail plan being just a snapshot in time. The main has two big reef points, and we have two staysails and two jibs to choose from so we've got the flexibility to change things as we go. Good advice.
Old 11-11-2013, 20:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Where you sail must have a different definition of light winds than mine. 10-15 mph is a hurricane on the Kona Coast. If the winds are towards the upper end of that range should give you a good idea of the boats sailing capabilities. Light air, 5k or so, will be this boats weak point so might try and schedule a 2nd sea trial if/when winds moderate to really see how the boat sails.

So how did the sea trial go???
Wow, I had no idea the winds were so light on the Kona Coast, are you in the lee of the island?

I had your comment in mind today, because the winds as we were starting out were no more than 5 knots and in fact the broker seemed reluctant to shut off the engine and let 'er sail, because he probably thought she wouldn't! ha! But she was lovely and balanced, even in those low breezes, and consistently maintained 4 knots or better. We were ALL amazed.
Old 11-11-2013, 20:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I just looked at the specs for a Willard, and I doubt if 5 knots of wind will even move it. It has a pretty low sail area to displacement ,and a high displacement to length. It will not be a good light air boat. But, that does not mean you cant get a lot of good cruising out of that type of boat. Just that you will want to make sure you have good light air sails, and a folding or feathering prop. A reliable diesel (doesnt have to be large) and a reasonable fuel capacity will make life easier. The heavy displacement will probably make for a nice motion at sea. I also looked at the diagram of the sail plan, and it appears that the boom might hit the backstay if it was raised during an uncontrolled gybe. That may be why it was shortened. ____Good Luck with it , and keep us posted. _____Grant.
Thanks for the good wishes Grant, I sure didn't expect much in the light air as we started out. I thought it might be about like a Westsail 32, because the SA/Disp ratio is even slightly lower in the Willard (14.25 vs 15.63, and that's with the larger spec'd mainsail) but the difference in hull shape must compensate for that number because this boat was just great in the light air. It has less displacement than the Westsail, but is heavy enough to step over some big waves effortlessly.

I also think your point about the original longer boom posing a risk of hitting the backstay is correct, looking at things today. It seems like these changes were well thought-out and not done just for the sake of a cockpit canopy, which makes me very happy.
Old 11-11-2013, 20:51   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Glad it went well. Figured the boat would do well 10k plus winds. Lighter air is where you might have been disappointed.

Keahole and south winds are strictly convection generated from the mountain heating up. Force 2 sea breeze is typical building to force 3 in the afternoon then a period of calm and a land breeze filling in in the evening. Go north a few miles and winds pick up. Strange how two 13,000' mountains rising from the sea will effect your weather patterns
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 21:02   #21

A good 3/4 ounce drifter will be a nice addition for your light air sailing. Best of luck.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter