Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45   #16

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: Sheets and Halyards best deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLetitgo View Post
I checked out this site. What size line in the sta-set is needed for 32 ft. sailboat for main halyard and sheets. Thanks
Kayamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35   #17

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28

J.S.I.'s flea market in St.Pete is on March 10th.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:44   #18

Re: Sheets and Halyards Best Deals

Mauri Pro Sailing: Sailboat Halyards & Rigging

To figure out your halyards situation a few other on the web with database
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:00   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
- lower stretch has nothing to do with durability but yes, the stretch is lower
I disagree entirely, especially when considering lines subjected to high working loads for prolonged periods. The more a line is stretched, the less likely it will be to return to its original length and diameter. You may be able to get away with this on a small boat sailed in moderate conditions, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

I have this problem with my outhaul, which I'm about to replace for the second time in five years. I start out with a 5/16" double braid, and within a year it stretches to a permanent 1/4". If I replace it with another sta-set, I'll have to replace the line in two more years. However, if I switch to something like a VPC, or better, I can realistically expect it to last twice as long.

Which line is more expensive in the long run?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08   #20

Re: Low Stretch. Realistically, wouldnt a little give be good thing on a cruising boat? ie: reducing shock loads etc...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Re: Low Stretch. Realistically, wouldnt a little give be good thing on a cruising boat? ie: reducing shock loads etc...?
A good question. On dock lines, yes. On an anchor snubber, absolutely! On any line that runs through a rope clutch, probably not.

I use single braid for my spinnaker sheets, and think a bit of stretch is good there. But I don't feel the same about jib sheets or the mainsheet. I suppose you could argue that mainsheet stretch is useful in an accidental jibe, but we don't crash jibe our boat.

I'm interested in other opinions, of course.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18   #22
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Ill catch some flack for this but the best bang for the buck is three strand nylon as found on anchor rodes. I replaced four halyards , mainsheet and jib sheets five years ago for under a hundred bucks. Id still feel comfortable going up in a bosuns seat on any one of them. I average around 2k miles annually cruising. Only drawback is I have to retension halyards when it rains sometimes depending on wind strength.
Simple to splice gets softer with time.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A good question. On dock lines, yes. On an anchor snubber, absolutely! On any line that runs through a rope clutch, probably not.

I use single braid for my spinnaker sheets, and think a bit of stretch is good there. But I don't feel the same about jib sheets or the mainsheet. I suppose you could argue that mainsheet stretch is useful in an accidental jibe, but we don't crash jibe our boat.

I'm interested in other opinions, of course.
Yeah, it's always interesting.... the best lines available... even for racing... years ago, are no longer "any good" for cruising...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 19:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

I have this problem with my outhaul, which I'm about to replace for the second time in five years. I start out with a 5/16" double braid, and within a year it stretches to a permanent 1/4". If I replace it with another sta-set, I'll have to replace the line in two more years. However, if I switch to something like a VPC, or better, I can realistically expect it to last twice as long.
Have you considered wire for your outhaul in combination with rope?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 19:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLetitgo View Post
Mauri Pro Sailing: Sailboat Halyards & Rigging

To figure out your halyards situation a few other on the web with database
Excellent resource, thanks!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 20:40   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

On my 35' boat, I switched to a Dyneema cored poyester braid covered 3/8", nominal, main halyard. I didn't do it for the low stretch for the halyard but for the low stretch for using the TopClimber ascender bosun's chair. The StaSet X that came with the boat was fine for the hauling up the sail though I wasn't particularly fond of the stiffness of that line. The Dyneema cored line has thinned out with use but still works just fine with the Top Climber and as a halyard. Think if I was going to replace it, would go with 7/16" cored Dyneema just for the ease on the hands manually pulling up the mainsail.

For sheets, good old Double Braid in 7/16' is a great combination of ease on the hands and not be too bulky. Stretch is acceptable and even a benefit for easing shock loads on the boat and rig.

What is the problem with 5/16" 'thinning out' to 1/4"?? The line is still plenty strong and the few times that you mess with the outhaul, not too bad on the hands.

No reason to go with wire for anything on a boat anymore. The new synthetics are stronger for a given diameter than wire, don't have the fatique, fish hook issues, are lighter and super easy to splice. Put a cover on them and they are easy on the hands and UV resistant. Just bought a boat with a lot of wire and have got a ton of cuts on my hands dealing with it. If I was going to keep the boat, the wire would all be history.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 20:50   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If you make your own lines and halyards, as I have always had to do ! and your on the west coast try Englands Marine Supply they are up north mostly but deal online and have huge line selection of most all types and materials. Well at least they did when I was out there a few yrs back ! Hope this helps Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:26   #28

Boat: Haida 26

Yes, England Marine for sure. Stores in Eureaka,Ca.,Cresent City, Ca., Coos Bay, Or., Newport, Or., & Astoria, Or. that I know of. Best chanery on the West Coast, Hands down..Michael..

englandmarine.com
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 17:38   #29

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean
Yes, England Marine for sure. Stores in Eureaka,Ca.,Cresent City, Ca., Coos Bay, Or., Newport, Or., & Astoria, Or. that I know of. Best chanery on the West Coast, Hands down..Michael..

englandmarine.com
Could that be Englund Marine Supply?

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 17:41   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Columbia Basin Knot has always done right by me.

I find the web site clunky, but they are wonderfully helpful on the phone. They really strive to help me out.

CBKnot
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheets