Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2016, 00:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Glad the above bill isn't coming out of my wallet!
Rough guess this will run about $12/ft. For a 36' boat that means about 110' of line. So figure this set of sheets will cost about $1,400. I am glad it isn't coming out of my wallet as well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 03:49   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I wonder if a self-tailing winch will handle that skinny, slippery high-tech stuff. I'll bet it'll slip.
Old 18-08-2016, 07:01   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
If you don't care about cost or doing the work yourself then go with Marlow D12-99 sized to stretch covered where necessary with Samson Flavored Ice covers. Soft shackles made from D12 MAX 99 in the same size as the core works very well to keep the load contained.

I priced that route for my beach cat......I decided I wasn't that serious about ounces on the heaviest production F16 out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:20   #19

Boat: Able 50
Re: Sheets

I kind of prefer when you just wandered into the local chandler and ordered Sta Set. Dyneema hadn't been invented yet so that was a great help to the decision making process.

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 07:50   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I wonder if a self-tailing winch will handle that skinny, slippery high-tech stuff. I'll bet it'll slip.
That's what the Flavored Ice is for. It's a Technora/Xylene blend that has a lot of grip and heat resistance. It's pretty much the ideal cover for the contact area at a winch, so long as you don't need it to provide any strength.

Of course if you just need a chaff guard then you switch to a dyneema cover instead.

The d-12 99 is just the current crop of highest strength, lowest weight dyneema. Frankly it's overkill for anything but maxi racers. Very few people need that much strength in that small of a package, at least at the prices they charge for it.

Old 18-08-2016, 07:52   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I priced that route for my beach cat......I decided I wasn't that serious about ounces on the heaviest production F16 out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The D-12 MAX99 actually is commonly used for standing rigging. My A-Cat shrouds cost about $100 and shaved close to 1.5kg from the rigging weight. Using it for running rigging, unless you are sailing for money, is just a little nuts.

Old 18-08-2016, 08:28   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Rough guess this will run about $12/ft. For a 36' boat that means about 110' of line. So figure this set of sheets will cost about $1,400. I am glad it isn't coming out of my wallet as well.
To keep things in perspective, 3/16 Amsteel is the same price and strength as 3/8 Sta-set at just under $1 per foot. So with a cover it would be 5/16" which seems to handle ok. 1/4" is another 25 cents per foot, way over strong but it would give you a bigger line with a cover on it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:27   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The last set of sheets I bought two years ago came out of the chandlers odd bin and cost £20 ($30) for both. Am i missing something here because a new Genoa would cost the same as some of the sheets being discussed

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 16:30   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Pete7;2199637]The last set of sheets I bought two years ago came out of the chandlers odd bin and cost £20 ($30) for both. Am i missing something here because a new Genoa would cost the same as some of the sheets being discussed

I am trying to come up with a way of having 2 sets of sheets on one clew so you can sheet the sail on either side of the stays, Using something light and small to keep the clutter down is the desire. Everyone seemed to think it needed to be line that cost $10 per foot. It does not, it's not any more than regular double braid.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 19:50   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The last set of sheets I bought two years ago came out of the chandlers odd bin and cost £20 ($30) for both. Am i missing something here because a new Genoa would cost the same as some of the sheets being discussed

Pete
The OP was being a little short and said he didn't care about cost he just wanted the best. So I specced out what would currently be the absolute top of the line jib sheets. I would expect to see this or something similar on very few boats, basically the TP-52, AC boats, Maxi Multihulls, etc. Even on top end budget insensitive programs the set up I suggested would be over kill.

More realistically amsteel buried inside a polyester cover will work for about 95% of boats. If done correctly they price out in the same range as sta-set for halyards, and a little more for sheets.

Tags
sheets