Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 00:01   #1

Boat: ETAP 22
Sewing up split rope protection firehose

Hi
I chose this over the Anchor/mooring forum, but I could be wrong.

I have to slit the fire hose I have to protect my 1" 3-strand nylon rope to get it over the rope and the next size up is too big.

Diameter is a restriction (cant be too big)

How is the best way to 'sew' it back up?

I want a way so that if the thread breaks at one point it wont unravel since it will be subject to chafe (hence the fire hose=

Cable ties?

cut straight?
etc

TIA

Leigh
Malagueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 07:55   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Sewing up split rope protection firehose

Velcro, sewn along the length of the split hose, one side on the inner face, one on the outer, at the split edges of course.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 08:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malagueta View Post

How is the best way to 'sew' it back up?
Look up instructions for how to sew closed leather steering wheel covers. This will be the neatest and lowest profile possible way.

There are lots of youtube's giving directions - fewer pdf's but here is one I just googled quickly. With fire hose, you don't need to pre-punch the holes, but it probably helps to mark them with say a black fine point sharpy pin sp you get the stitches all even. Use nice strong thread and take your time and it will be really nice. You can knot off the thread as frequently as you want to prevent it from 'unzipping'.

WheelStitchingInstructionOpenEnd.pdf

this is typically how leather chafe protection is put on. long history, very reliable.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 13:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Velcro, sewn along the length of the split hose, one side on the inner face, one on the outer, at the split edges of course.

FWIW...

Not enough room, unfortunately
but thanks
Old 28-01-2022, 14:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Look up instructions for how to sew closed leather steering wheel covers. This will be the neatest and lowest profile possible way.

There are lots of youtube's giving directions - fewer pdf's but here is one I just googled quickly. With fire hose, you don't need to pre-punch the holes, but it probably helps to mark them with say a black fine point sharpy pin sp you get the stitches all even. Use nice strong thread and take your time and it will be really nice. You can knot off the thread as frequently as you want to prevent it from 'unzipping'.

Attachment 252064

this is typically how leather chafe protection is put on. long history, very reliable.

That looks good, thanks!
I have some 1 mm waxed whipping twine I was going to use. My grandad looked after horses in the Royal horse artillery and I have an awl and kind of a needle with a harpoon type hook needle thingy he used to fix saddlery (is that a word?) with that I use.
Old 28-01-2022, 19:34   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Old 29-01-2022, 05:23   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

During my youth around the water, we used old fire hose for a variety of applications from dock guards to fenders to, of course, line chafe guards.

The stuff is not all that easy to sew by hand. We would pre-drill the hose at intervals with a small bit so the awl doesn't have to punch thru the rubber and canvas. This step made sewing easy and opened up the option of using a heavier line for the sewing.ot

A hot knife with a fine point or a small soldering iron may work also to make the holes.

Supergluing the hose on may work, or contact cement, hough I haven't tried these.

Just a thought.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 06:13   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

You can also buy “fire hose cover” in various diameters, no bulky rubber to deal with then.
You may find you can slip it on without needing to sew it up.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 06:52   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I don't understand why you need to split the hose, please clarify.

I use fire hose extensively for anti-chafe and years ago bought a length of 50 feet for cheap and simply cut off a piece when needed and slip it over the line.

For dock lines they are held in place by the chocks, for rope mooring or anchor lines I zip tie the ends to keep them in place.

The only time I've had to split open a fire hose is to install a piece on my running backstays where they hit the hardtop cover over the center cockpit. Zip ties worked fine for that too.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 10:39   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Ok so if this is a low budget project as it seems it is, I offer: duck tape the out side of the fire hose. If you are looking to sew it because you think sewing would hold better (I would argue the tape is stronger) then you must pinch the cut sides together and follow a pattern of that similar to a coiled spring pushing though the hose jackets that are pinched together and then pull waxed thread over to the same position the previous entry and exit point followed. To protect against the possibility of complete unraveling end each thread about a quarter of the way you need sewn than start again and repeat.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 04:01   #11

Its for this:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3559044

The problem is, the 25 mm internal diam hose (prob actually 25.4 mm = 1") I got is too tight for the 1" rope to pull through.
So got the next size up which is 45 mm internal diameter and folded it over by binding it round with cable ties

This fits through the 50 mm internal diameter PVC pip embeded in the concrete block, but Its not a free running fit and I would like to be able to pull the loop of lower rope round to inspect the bit in the concrete block pipe (at low tide)

So, i thought I would split the 25 mm hose to get it on and then sew it up as it is a good tight fit to the rope and will allow lots of diameter space to allow it to pull through the pipe

I realise this is mooring, but my q was about stitching, which I though was more applicable here.

Here in Portugal, I cant find and intermediate (between 25 & 45 mm) internal diameter hose

Maybe I need to rethink?
One alternative is just to leave the hose off and inspect more often?
Or maybe stitching it is ok.
Duct tape might be the answer but I would have thought that it would not be good with the chaffe against the pipe?
Cable ties?
Doesnt have to look nice, thats for sure
Old 30-01-2022, 04:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malagueta View Post
Here in Portugal, I cant find and intermediate (between 25 & 45 mm) internal diameter hose

Or maybe stitching it is ok.
just as fyi - In US you can get 38mm hose (1.5") - I would guess there must be some way to get to you.

Your application is permanently submerged - right? I would consider reinforced pvc hose - I would suspect you could get multiple sizes that would work (here in USA I just looked and there are 8 sizes between 1" and 1.5" available). It is inexpensive, widely available, durable, and has pretty good chafe protection.

Stitching has a long successful history on leather chafe guards - I personally would think would be just perfectly fine if done well.

Finally, there are rope coatings which vastly increase rope chafe resistance. Take a look at this TrueKote to see what you might be looking for - anywhere there is industrial or commercial fishing rope use you will find something like this available.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 04:32   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi, can't help with the sewing part, but I was successful by putting a thin leader on the rope end and than rubbing ample amounts of washing up liquid into the line.
Got a fairly snug fitting hose over the line that way..
Old 30-01-2022, 06:27   #14

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I don't have a piece of fire hose here to try it on, but it strikes me that you could pre-punch holes along both edges of the cut hose, then stitch it with a baseball stitch using a small cord - 1.5 -2 mm - I would be tempted to use Dyneema or other UHMWPE line instead of nylon or dacron. As others have suggested, you could knot the stitching every few inches to prevent unraveling in the event of chafe failure.
I would use a small plier-type punch (like this: https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic...dp/B07W48YG15/ ) to punch the holes.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 06:46   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Slit lengthwise and wrap around line. Where it overlaps itself, glue with polyurethane, clamp with tape wrap.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, rot