Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2023, 15:19   #1

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45
Sail manufacturing time

We are currently waiting for a remade genoa to be delivered. It was ordered in May 2022, paid in June 2022 and as I write this it's March 2023. Original promise date was October, main and genoa showed around Thanksgiving but the Genoa was cut incorrectly. Remake was supposed to show in January, then February, then...

I won't say who the manufacturer is, but they are blaming both delays on the supply chain. If you have ordered sails within the last year I would appreciate knowing when they were ordered, when they were delivered, and who made them.
Old 06-03-2023, 15:46   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Sail manufacturing time

Ordered early July. Expected in September. Delivered end of October. Elvstrom.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:53   #3

We ordered two sails mid-January. A cross-cut mizzen, and a nylon mizzen staysail.

Both were shipped Feb 18th, a month and a few days after placing the order.

Now, there is a caveat on supply chain issues. The sailcloth for the crosscut mizzen was not available as ordered, so the sailmaker upgraded to a radial cut sail at the same price. That's a significant discount. We have been a long term customer, with a lot of history so this might not have happened for everybody, and we might still be waiting for cloth delivery.

Both these were designed and sold by a "virtual loft" using one of the standard contract lofts in Siri Lanka to do the actual manufacturing.

We have always paid 1/2 on placing the order, and the balance when production is complete prior to shipping. Can't imagine paying the whole cost upfront before the sail is made.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 17:00   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

I ordered a new 130% Genoa from north sails Ft Lauderdale. Took 4 weeks to be ready. A week to ship up to my local North Sails in CT where it is waiting for me to collect in the Spring.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 17:11   #5

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
We ordered two sails mid-January. A cross-cut mizzen, and a nylon mizzen staysail.

Both were shipped Feb 18th, a month and a few days after placing the order.

Now, there is a caveat on supply chain issues. The sailcloth for the crosscut mizzen was not available as ordered, so the sailmaker upgraded to a radial cut sail at the same price. That's a significant discount. We have been a long term customer, with a lot of history so this might not have happened for everybody, and we might still be waiting for cloth delivery.

Both these were designed and sold by a "virtual loft" using one of the standard contract lofts in Siri Lanka to do the actual manufacturing.

We have always paid 1/2 on placing the order, and the balance when production is complete prior to shipping. Can't imagine paying the whole cost upfront before the sail is made.

who did you use?
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 17:50   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Ordered November, production started early January, delivered mid February, Leitch McBride.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 23:59   #7

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Hmm, I ordered a new #3 in February, picked it up 2 weeks later.

I did go with a small sailmaker.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:39   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

About 60 days from a St Petersburg shop. Even got to visit my sail before it was sewn!

Over 4 months from a national firm.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 03:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I think the "Supply-chain" excuse has worn pretty thin. I ordered a spool of rope from my supplier in December, checked yesterday and they had not manufactured it yet. Not because of any dyneema shortage, but because they see me as a low priority (small shop; don't buy much). There were legitimate supply issues some time back, and may still be some, but it's getting overworked IMO.
I'll bet the OP's loft just isn't that interested in something that's not really going to bring in more profit, since it's a re-cut.
Old 07-03-2023, 04:46   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I ordered sails in Sept of 2020, After a couple of discussions with the designer(s) to finalize details the order was finalized in late Sept and I had them by thanksgiving. So roughly 3 weeks from finalizing to them sitting on my door. Full suit of sails. Genoa, Main, Mizzen. They all fit perfectly. and draw beautifully. Ordered from Precision. Great bunch to work with and very responsive.

Having said all of that, There still are "supply chain issues" out there. I have a neighbour who has been searching high an low for enough Interprotect to do their bottom and they are in regular contact with the Canadian Interlux rep. Its tough finding whole gallon kits of the stuff right now!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post

Good point and I was unclear. We did only put down 1/2 originally.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'll bet the OP's loft just isn't that interested in something that's not really going to bring in more profit, since it's a re-cut.
Benz, this is Bonz. Lol

I was unclear again. Main and genoa were commissioned new. When they showed up did weeks late and we're installed the Genoa was for someone else's boat so that sail has to be remade from scratch. That remake process has now been 4 months.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:22   #13

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender

Ordered genoa and staysail in late November, paid 1/2 at that point. Received sails and paid 2/2 mid-February. Elvstrøm.

They also serviced our old main. That we dropped off in October and received together with the new sails.

Last year we ordered a Parasailor from Istec in mid-February and received it late April. Two weeks late from their original estimate so they shipped it to the Baltic coast where we were at that point.
bergius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:27   #14

Boat: Valiant 42

HydraNet Tri-radial 3 weeks from order to delivery last August

Thurston Quantum loft in Bristol RI

the beauty of local lofts - designed and built in RI - fitted at delivery
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:40   #15

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I ordered sails in Sept of 2020, After a couple of discussions with the designer(s) to finalize details the order was finalized in late Sept and I had them by thanksgiving. So roughly 3 weeks from finalizing to them sitting on my door. Full suit of sails. Genoa, Main, Mizzen. They all fit perfectly. and draw beautifully. Ordered from Precision. Great bunch to work with and very responsive.

Having said all of that, There still are "supply chain issues" out there. I have a neighbour who has been searching high an low for enough Interprotect to do their bottom and they are in regular contact with the Canadian Interlux rep. Its tough finding whole gallon kits of the stuff right now!
On the shelf at Port Whitby Marine. I am waiting for a quart for some touchups.

Tags
sail