Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 04:36   #16

Thanks again, mates.

Yes, this will be my introduction to the wonderful world of fiberglassing, epoxy and deck cores. I had already ordered a copy of the West manual and plan to memorize it when it arrives. Ha, ha.

In case it matters, my core is foam. I that assume foam plays nice with plywood and epoxy.

At any rate, it appears that I won't be getting bored on Isla Mujeres this winter. Fortunately, we have a second windlass on the other bow to get us by until we get there. Wish me luck! I promise to post pictures when it's done.

Phil
Old 14-10-2010, 05:26   #17

Oh, is it a foam core cat? Does the boat have a bridle to carry the load? Odd that it has a windlass on each bow versus a single windlass on center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip R. McGovern View Post
Fortunately, we have a second windlass on the other bow to get us by until we get there.Phil
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 05:33   #18

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
There is one use for silicon on a boat...and outside the galley at that...Go to Blood Bath and Beyond or somesuck kitchen junk store and getcha some Sil-Pat baking mats...Bakers and candy makers use them as a non stick work surface...ideal for doing work in the overhead...lay glass/epoxy on it and place it in the overhead and let cure enough to stay and peel it away...

Having said that..I'd do it from the top...gotta gnasty place in my foredeck I'm going to have to replace soon.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:16   #19

Joli:

Yes. she's a PDQ 36 cat and we do use a bridle. Actually, we really like the idea of (normally) having two bow anchors at the ready -- just in case.

On the rare occasion when the Bulwagga fails to set, the CQR is just waiting to take over. We haven't used both anchors at the same time yet, but would do so in a pinch.

In fact, I'm feeling a little uncomfortable now that we are down to only one and, as a result, have placed this windlass project rather high up on my "must do" list.

Phil

Tags
core