Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2022, 20:02   #1

Boat: Island Packet 29
Roller furling headsail. Why do I struggle with it?

New to me boat. Last boat had hank on. New boat has a brand new Harken MK1. I struggle to get it back in a lot of times. Other boats I see seem to have no issues. Not sure if I dont get it or what.

Is there some trick to it? My hank on point I just point up wind and release the halyard the the sail drops on the deck pretty much. It was non issue. Not the case with the roller. Im struggling, even in low winds and doing what I can to release pressure on the headsail.

Is there some trick that makes it easy to get back in? Also the furling line the rigger put on seems really small and hard on the hands which does not seem to help any. Not sure what size it is. Not opposed to roller, but if its this difficult normally, Id go back to hanks.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, head, roller furling, sail