Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 06:50   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Replacing dodger plastic windows & PTFE thread info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Great job, we have the same style of frame. Not any like it around us (constant arc ) most have a straight across the top. We need to build a new one from scratch. All we got with the boat was the frame. We stitched together a quick top part for shade and rain protection. This fall/winter will buy better material to make a "real " one.
A big project! Hope it turns out well.

I have heard the Sailrite DVD contains lots of useful information on making dodgers:
http://www.sailrite.com/Make-your-Own-Dodger-DVD

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:51   #32

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
A big project! Hope it turns out well.

I have heard the Sailrite DVD contains lots of useful information on making dodgers:
http://www.sailrite.com/Make-your-Own-Dodger-DVD
A few questions regarding dodgers.

1. We are considering replacement of our dodger, general estimates are insane. We have a 43’ Swan and just the tiny companionway dodger is $1,000, it is maybe 24” x 24” x24”. The cockpit dodger is $6k. The estimate for the small dodger is for fabric only.

2. Is there a web site or specific thread for homemade dodger success/fail stories?

3. I have seen some dodgers with zippers on three sides to enable windows to be rolled up. Is it feasible to have zippers on all 4 sides of the windows?

4. Looking to get a Sailrite with the walking foot, I have heard they do not work well on thinner materials such as curtains. Is that true?

Thanks.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:54   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
A few questions regarding dodgers.

1. We are considering replacement of our dodger, general estimates are insane. We have a 43’ Swan and just the tiny companionway dodger is $1,000, it is maybe 24” x 24” x24”. The cockpit dodger is $6k. The estimate for the small dodger is for fabric only.

2. Is there a web site or specific thread for homemade dodger success/fail stories?

3. I have seen some dodgers with zippers on three sides to enable windows to be rolled up. Is it feasible to have zippers on all 4 sides of the windows?

4. Looking to get a Sailrite with the walking foot, I have heard they do not work well on thinner materials such as curtains. Is that true?

Thanks.
Hi Deluxe68
I am not aware of any specific websites. A careful search of various forums is likely to produce a mountain of information though. I have no experiences with sewing zippers on dodgers, but I guess there is a limit on how much of the dodger can be made "removable" when tension is needed.

I have used a Sailrite with a walking foot and the zig zag option for about a decade now on board. We don't use curtains (no need at anchor ), but apart from the Sunbrella work, I sew all our cotton pillowcases and I intermittently play with patchwork. No, the Sailrite is not as "pleasant" to use for fine cotton, but once you have the correct needle and adjust the tension, it sews well.

SWL

Old 11-04-2018, 11:14   #34

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Oh, I like that tip .
Thanks.

For some reason I have two remote spool holders. I will bend the used one next time I pull the machine out. Particularly for big projects, it is much easier if kinks in the thread can be avoided.

SWL
That is a BIGGIE point. I read through the whole thread to make sure that detail got posted.
I made a stand just for the GoreTex (Tenara) thread out of a hunk of delrin for the base, a dead computer hard drive motor for a rotor, the actual hard drive disk for the platform, the top of a serger cone for the center retainer, and a piece of fencing wire for a guide.
The spool of GoreTex sits on the hard disk and the guide wire feeds the thread off the side as the hard disk rotates from the thread movement.
Cost, nothing, and it works great to prevent any hockles in the thread.
It is used with any monofilament thread.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 14:55   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That is a BIGGIE point. I read through the whole thread to make sure that detail got posted.
I made a stand just for the GoreTex (Tenara) thread out of a hunk of delrin for the base, a dead computer hard drive motor for a rotor, the actual hard drive disk for the platform, the top of a serger cone for the center retainer, and a piece of fencing wire for a guide.
The spool of GoreTex sits on the hard disk and the guide wire feeds the thread off the side as the hard disk rotates from the thread movement.
Cost, nothing, and it works great to prevent any hockles in the thread.
It is used with any monofilament thread.
It's a neat idea to rotate the spool!

I have been doing a bit of work with Tenara this past year (cockpit seats and back rests, anchor winch cover ......) and my intention of bending my spare spool holder had to be shelved when I couldn't find it after moving off our previous boat .
I ended up stringing a few metres of cord horizontally between window and door handles with the spool fed through it. It only takes a few minutes to set up. Every now and again pulling a few metres of Tenara off the spool by hand prevents the Tenara trying to come off the top of the cone. Not a very elegant solution, but it is effective and easy.

SWL

Old 11-04-2018, 18:31   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I guess I've been blessed, but I put the machine on the saloon table, and the spool of tenara on the cabin sole (so it comes off the top of the spool), and so far, have not had to do anything else, except, of course, turn the needle, in my case, anti-clockwise.

Incidentally, clear PTFE thread is now available, if you like the stitching to not show very much.
Ann
Old 11-04-2018, 20:41   #37

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Home made GoreTex/Tenara spool holder.
Good for any monofilament thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	167970   Click image for larger version