Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 09:23   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Remove a Free Mast from an Anchored Boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by masthead View Post
Hi All Of You knowledgeable People.
I'm a new kid on the block this is my first thread.So I'm re-fitting a 30' sailboat and the wooden Mast is finished and I'm looking at a used aluminum Mast and it is a 39' which is what was on the boat.My problem is the Mast is on the boat and I'm responsible for de-stepping and the boat is at Anchor.Is this possible and how should I go about it.
Thanks Masthead
Yes, it's possible, and no, don't do it.

Bring the boat to a seawall with a light crane or a Polecat on a calm day. A 30 footer is going to pitch and heave with the weight of the A-frame/ginpole you would have to rig (and I am assuming this is deck stepped) and the number of guys willing to be crippled for your free mast.

Find a crane.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:29   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

With all respects to the "scissor-legs/tackle" comment (what I meant by saying "A-frame"), I cannot think of a situation in the developed world where this is necessary or cannot be solved cheaply. A 30 foot can be towed by an inflatable with a 9.9 HP. Unless it's "derelict at anchor" in a distant part of Alaska, why would you NEED to do this? It's like rebuilding Stonehenge with levers and without wheels...sure, "it can be done", but there's no compelling reason.

If the boat is too derelict to be towed, take off all the stays, and put a rolling hitch on the mast under the top tangs. Then sink the boat in place, pulling out the mast in the process. Lash mast and stays to boat...power home!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if it is deck stepped,and a salvage/wreck,just let go the shrouds then the uppers on one side and stand back............ then detach the rest of the rigging.
two dinghies to transport it once it is down and give it a good fresh water rinse...
might add this to your plan,wouldn't you want run a couple pfds up the pole first?
bandaidmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:39   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Masthead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
I love girls who still can use words as "Whilst" in a simple sentence, forsooth. Avast masthead, yee'l be need'n a strong yard'm t' pry thee mast head free.
This is a world wide web and criticising others language dialects is a bit rude, dude!
Old 23-08-2011, 14:25   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tie empty pop bottles to mast, sink boat. Remove mast, refloat boat. Or not, if you don't need it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:39   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tie empty pop bottles to mast, sink boat. Remove mast, refloat boat. Or not, if you don't need it.
That's what I love about CF: full of structured, thoughtful advice for those in need of help.

Jim
Old 23-08-2011, 14:53   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'd go along with the idea of bringing the boat to a yard where they either have a crane or a gin pole attached to a travel lift. Some years ago, a couple of guys pulled a mast while their boat was on the hard at my marina. They were successful but when the owner of the yard found out, they were both evicted because of the liability and potential for disaster.

I would further suggest that in order to save time and money, you have the replacement mast at the same location and already wired and ready to go. That way, you can pull one and then switch the crane over to the replacement without having to pay for another mobilization/demobilization fee on the crane. By the way, you might have to pay for disposal of the old mast unless you have a chain saw and a pickup truck.

Good luck,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:58   #23

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Masthead

Quote:
Originally Posted by masthead View Post
My problem is the boat is at anchor and not able to move as far as I know and also just for salvage.But I will be on board the boat in a few days so I will have a better idea then as to what can be done or not done.
Thanks So Much For The Time And Ideas Masthead.
Unless the boat is stuck in the bottom, or not yours, it can move. If you are salvaging it from a derilect you better check the laws (they vary from state to state)

If you have permission from the owner and the boat isn't stuck to the bottom, you can move it.

I have seen pictures of someone stepping a mast using a bridge to haul it from. Other than that, save your pennies.
Old 23-08-2011, 15:03   #24

Boat: Sceptre 41

There sure are a lot of candy asses on this forum. It is a 30' boat with a 39' mast. two people can easily pick this mast up. If it is a deck stepped mast it is really easy. just build an "A" frame with a pulley on the top. I've drawn this set up and posted it here a few times. If you want help send me a PM and details such as if it is deck stepped or keel stepped and weather their is a hinge bolt on the bottom of the mast that acts as a hinge. It really isn't that hard. by leaving the shrouds attached the mast will stay in line side to side and the main halyard running thru the A frame will act as the break to lower the mast with

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:18   #25

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

You can dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!! Said in the guys voice from the Adam Sandler movies.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 15:38   #26

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

If you get the Mast for free.....paying for a crane and some hands still makes it a cheap mast in my books.
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 21:40   #27

Well Hi And Thanks :To all you good folks with all the suggestion and Ideas.I certainly appreciate the time and thoughts that you all put into it.But to day was a good day I found an absolutely beautiful Mast Rigging and Sails for a very reasonable dollar and it will be delivered to my property.So again Thanks
Masthead.
masthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 22:24   #28

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Dat's what we're here for.
Old 25-08-2011, 23:51   #29
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
There sure are a lot of candy asses on this forum. It is a 30' boat with a 39' mast. two people can easily pick this mast up. It really isn't that hard. by leaving the shrouds attached the mast will stay in line side to side and the main halyard running thru the A frame will act as the break to lower the mast with
did I ever mention about when we put the mast through the heads when we were restepping the mast after we relaunched our first yacht? Yup, it is quite possible for a few folks with strings and pulleys to do this, but also quite tricky. We only broke the loo... Not the hull, luckily!

J
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, removal