Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 13:30   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Re-Rigging: What is best 1X19 wire brand/manufacturer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I have some alps 316 wire I'm testing that I managed to achieve test results for. Plan to to replace the rigging on our Liberty 458 in 2016.

As for 304 showing rust in the tropics but not 316 that is only anecdotal. Rust on 304 or 316 is due to something ferrous based on or in the surface of the wire. A contaminant of some sort.
To be clear, Alps doesn't make wire - they distribute wire made by KOS in Korea. Please post your test results. Rigging Only tests each lot of their KOS wire independently and will share the results.

The difference in resistance to corrosion from salt water is not anecdotal. 316 is specifically formulated to address this very issue. I can show you rusty 304 on our boat that has never seen any type of ferrous contaminant. Even passivating 304 will still show rust after time in a tropical saltwater environment.

Rust is ferrous-based on the surface, but that ferrous is part of the metal itself - no need for external contaminants.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 15:10   #17

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

lol I hope VW do not do any testing
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 15:32   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
My 48' cutter is rigged with Norseman terminals and 1X19 wire, half 7/16" and half 3/8" in diameter. I'm 58 years old, and I want wire that will last as long as possible going forward. Any advice on brands to avoid, or the best type to buy? I would rather spend more for very good wire than purchase "bargain" wire and watch it corrode or fail. Thanks for any advice, tips, links etc.
If you want something better than regular 1x19 , try Dyform, its a bit stronger , 1x19 dyform got a gain aprox of 2 tons in Breaking strength v regular1x19 in almost all the sizes.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 15:35   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Isn't nitronic used in rod rigging?

Mark
Yes Sir, that it is. And from what I understand, it's metallurgical properties rule out it's being used in rigging wire. Otherwise we'd have seen it used for rigging wire, as it's far strong & more corrosion resistant than the other alloys of stainless being discussed in this thread.

Regarding the properties, & strengths of the various alloys in wuestion, you can start (finding info on them) at www.Matweb.com

Also, yes, RiggingOnly does have test certificates on file for each batch of wire that they recieve.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 15:37   #20

Boat: csy 37

From personal experience, Chinese stainless is the worst crap. I used some to make a wire topping lift and it rusted to crap in a few months.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 15:49   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Is DyForm still available. My very experienced rigger does not think so.
Old 25-09-2015, 16:27   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, Alps sells KOS wire from Korea, which is excellent. 304 is ~10% stronger, but will show rust in the tropics.

Mark
Mark... Have you actually seen 304 stainless rigging that was rusting.. I'm just wondering as I have been testing 304 and 18.8 stainless and I cannot get it to rust. I even soaked a few bolts in warm salt water for a month and they didn't show any signs of rust.

Not sure why my results are different. Maybe the 304 stainless is better quality up here. The fasteners I've been testing are all from the oil industry, maybe that has something to do with it.

I also have a few 304 bolts on my boat that have created rust streaks, but they don't look rusted.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 16:50   #23

always thought the swaged fittings are the weak spot....and do riggers prestretch like ive seen in aviation...and chlorines a killer....just my 2 cts
capt ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 16:54   #24

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Is DyForm still available. My very experienced rigger does not think so.
Dyform is available, no idea why your rigger cant supply Dyform....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 18:29   #25

Boat: Bristol 41.1

There is a Dyform vendor just south of you at Ft. Lauderdale. If in the budget, Dyform is great. I have only had it on one boat, but prefer it to rod and standard 1x19 rigging.

https://www.ropeinc.com/cat-wire-rope.html
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 20:48   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Mark... Have you actually seen 304 stainless rigging that was rusting..

……..

I also have a few 304 bolts on my boat that have created rust streaks, but they don't look rusted.
Yes, I have seen much rusty 304 rigging wire, but I don't know the providence of it.

Rust streaks from 304 are due to the piece itself. On a bolt, that might result in rust steaks on the surrounding fiberglass, but on rigging wire it would result in propagated streaks down the wire - which would look like rusting wire (which it is).

If you are using passivated or polished 304 or 18-8, then these will retain much resistant to rusting for longer times. Try scratching one and seeing how it handles conditions.

Also, I don't think soaking in salt water is as harsh as living in salt spray. The latter presents much more concentrated attack and localized chemical conditions.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 21:21   #27

Following post

I want to rig a structural furler.

Headstay will rotate with furler.

So I am wanting top shelf wire and swages.

Bob
SunnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 22:20   #28

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I would be debating whether to use galvanized or synthetic. I currently have synthetic for 5 years now, no problems, no rust, doesn't weaken with working etc.. The bronze hanks have minimal effect and chafe is not a concern. Much less weight aloft which makes the boat sail better. The disadvantage I can see is that it is more expensive than galvanized cable. From what I know either material can last 50 years or more, and it is clearly visible when it should be replaced.

I have met a lot of people who lost their mast or nearly so because they used stainless which is truly the incorrect material for rigging.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:02   #29

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Thanks for all the tips and leads, everybody!
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 07:14   #30

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I would be debating whether to use galvanized or synthetic. I currently have synthetic for 5 years now, no problems, no rust, doesn't weaken with working etc.. The bronze hanks have minimal effect and chafe is not a concern. Much less weight aloft which makes the boat sail better. The disadvantage I can see is that it is more expensive than galvanized cable. From what I know either material can last 50 years or more, and it is clearly visible when it should be replaced.

I have met a lot of people who lost their mast or nearly so because they used stainless which is truly the incorrect material for rigging.
UHMWPE fibers like Dyneema are affected by UV radiation and ozone. I have seen no hard data on how quickly they degrade, but I have seen some statements implying that they should be replaced after as little as one year in a high insolation environment.

Tags
rigging