Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 17:00   #1

Re-rig Fisher 31

If I could afford the boat i would really like it would be a diesel duck seahorse marine , However i own a fisher 31 Motor sailor I know nothing about sailing and this boat is ketch rigged Double mast , I am 66 years old with some Significant disability Crushed feet Arthritis and back and knee problems , Anyway rerigging the boat to be more like a diesel duck all controlled from the Cockpit , What would you all recommend leave it alone and just Hoist the sails that I need or remove one of the mast and convert it more like a diesel duck Pictured hopefully Click image for larger version

Name:	459D1C05-F8E0-4525-9268-0E4F35A17364.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	259759
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 17:19   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Re-rig Fisher 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
If I could afford the boat i would really like it would be a diesel duck seahorse marine , However i own a fisher 31 Motor sailor I know nothing about sailing and this boat is ketch rigged Double mast , I am 66 years old with some Significant disability Crushed feet Arthritis and back and knee problems , Anyway rerigging the boat to be more like a diesel duck all controlled from the Cockpit , What would you all recommend leave it alone and just Hoist the sails that I need or remove one of the mast and convert it more like a diesel duck Pictured hopefully Attachment 259759
Hi, I have a fisher 32, an aussie built version of the fisher, sloop rigged with all controls to the cockpit and find it easy to solo. Before removing any of the rigging I would suggest that you try sailing with the rig set up in various combinations ie: main and jib and then jib and jigger (or jib on the main mast and the sail on the aft mast). Try the various combinations before you spend the considerable time and resources needed to change it while reducing it's inherent resale value.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 17:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby tug View Post
If I could afford the boat i would really like it would be a diesel duck seahorse marine , However i own a fisher 31 Motor sailor I know nothing about sailing and this boat is ketch rigged Double mast , I am 66 years old with some Significant disability Crushed feet Arthritis and back and knee problems , Anyway rerigging the boat to be more like a diesel duck all controlled from the Cockpit , What would you all recommend leave it alone and just Hoist the sails that I need or remove one of the mast and convert it more like a diesel duck Pictured hopefully Attachment 259759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, I have a fisher 32, an aussie built version of the fisher, sloop rigged with all controls to the cockpit and find it easy to solo. Before removing any of the rigging I would suggest that you try sailing with the rig set up in various combinations ie: main and jib and then jib and jigger (or jib on the main mast and the sail on the aft mast). Try the various combinations before you spend the considerable time and resources needed to change it while reducing it's inherent resale value.
Thanks for your reply , I traveled the Washington coast many times and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sailboat with the sail’s up , it would be nice to think one day I’ll cross an ocean however most likely the boat will travel down the West Coast to Alaska and I’m not so sure sailing is even feasible , Something rigged more like a diesel duck with paravanes might be more useful for me maximum fuel economy and stability
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2023, 14:22   #4

Hmm, you would be the owner of Scuttlebutt? I believe there were only 3-4 Fisher 31 Ketches made.
RBryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 03:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The moment of the masts is part of the stability/motion calculations for a sailboat. A sailboat without masts has a different motion than one with the rigs in. Something to think about when considering changing weight aloft.

Tags
fish, Fisher