Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 14:50   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Radial Clew Mainsail?

In the process of getting a new main for a C&C 41. Sailmaker suggested we consider a Radial Clew design. Anyone know anything about this sail design? Sailmaker says that the high aspect ration of the 41 would be a good candidate but I cannot find any information on the design.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 15:04   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Radial Clew Mainsail?

Are you/he referring to a radial cut sail (aka tri-radial), or just radial reinforcements at the clew? Both are pretty common, so what's the question? And it seems odd that if you do an online search using radial mainsail as the key phrase that you're getting nothing. I got pages, & pages of results from which to choose. Including descriptions of such a sail on most sailmaker's websites. Might want to try doing a bit of reading on such web pages.
For example Radial Cruising Mainsail — UK Sailmakers

Also, which cut you choose depends on what cloth you plan to go with, the intended use of the main, what you desire in terms of lifespan, your sailing style, etc. Plus of course, budget. Once those things are answered, then it's easier to pin down the best design, & cloth for you.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 15:08   #3

Not tri-radial but radial clew. All panels radiate out from the clew in a fan shape from foot to head. Cannot find anything about it and sailmaker's computer is dead so do not have design drawing, just the sketch he made yesterday.
Old 27-01-2017, 15:36   #4

Radial Clew Main V2 Panel Layout.pdf
Old 27-01-2017, 16:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That's a new one on me but then I don't keep up on the latest and greatest or have much of a use for it. What is the advantage of this cut over a radial cut sail?? The radial design is done to keep sail loads in line with the point of least stretch of the sail cloth. Assume this radial clew design has something to do with the same benefits. Looks like it could be easier to build as long as you get each of the panels cut and sewn properly. Both are probably the benefit of computer cutting of the cloth.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 05:49   #6

Boat: Stevens 47

Wow. Clew section, foot, and most of leech have ok fiber/load alignment, but everywhere else is bias loaded. And reefing this makes it worse. Radial sails benefit is to align common load paths with cloth yarns. Tri-radial does this well. Bi-radial, with panels oriented from clew and head, economize construction with a big step backwards in bias loading. Mono-radial, which I've only ever seen on dinghies, is more so.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 16:10   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for the straight skinny Totem, the radial clew only sounds like an incredibly bad design for a cruising boat. Welcome back.

Ann
Old 24-10-2017, 21:37   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I don't understand why this is different than a cross cut. Also I assume the sail cloth can make a big difference; high tech laminated string sails can be strong in all directions.

Rex, curious what was your decision? Did you get the clew radial, or another design? Happy with it?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 22:16   #9

Save your $. My rule is always: cross cut main, and if you can afford it, triradial genoa. Makes a big difference.
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 17:04   #10

Tried to attach photo but failed. Love the sail. Has all the advantages of tri-radial but at the cost of cross cut. Boat has never achieved speeds like it has with this sail. Nephew just bought similar design in New York to sail for destinations as yet unknown. He too is happy with it. I am a very traditional type but trust my sailmaker completely and if Leitch and McBride say it is a good idea, it probably is.
Old 25-10-2017, 17:58   #11

I had a discussion about this design tonight with Sobstadt and now I "get it". According to their load analysis most of the highest loads are emanating from the clew out to other parts of the sail especially along the leech and foot. They have concluded that triradial and tape-type string design has merit and advantages but is over complicated. You can get pretty much the same results with clew radial and have a simpler sail. (If you have excessive loads on the luff you have over hoisted, and presumably the luff line or wire will resist the negative effect to some extent.) Advanced cloth is also a construction factor.

I've received a very attractive quote and am planning to order a main and genoa. Also I have found the person I'm dealing with at Sobstadt to be *very* knowledgeable and patient with my many questions - and willing to take time to make sure every detail will meet or exceed my expectations. That in itself inspires trust and confidence.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:58   #12

Update -
The new sails were made with the genoa as a clew radial with vertical battens in the leech, and the main as tri-radial, full battened. Genoa cloth is DP CS 20 with Lite Skin, Mainsail cloth is CS 20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	162936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	162937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	162938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	162939  

Old 03-11-2018, 06:06   #13

Boat: Aloha 10.4

We are looking at the radial clew main and Genoa for our Aloha 10.4. Can any of the above users update there experience after a season of use?

Cheers,

Craig
CapnMarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:40   #14

Love it!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:42   #15

Quote: