Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 05:33   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Putting Eye in Sunbrella - HELP

I got some cheap Sunbrella rip-off and want to whack a metal eye in it so I can tie it to sommit.

Do I need to put a reinforcing layer of cloth on the area and then put the eye in? (Just one of those metal eyes hit with a hammer with a die)

With your answer please don't go berzerko on the "stitch this" and "sow that" because I am hand sowing and its a figgin' pain in the riggin'.

Much obliged for your help.

Mark the Mender...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 05:38   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
That'll work without reinforcement if you don't plan to put a lot of tension on the grommet. After time (2-3 years?) the threads around the perimeter of the grommet will begin to part due to the crimp.
Old 21-10-2010, 05:38   #3

Just sew in a piece of webbing Mark. Easier to do and it won't mar the gelcoat. We've gone away from brass eyes on all our sun shades.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 05:46   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Just sew in a piece of webbing Mark. Easier to do and it won't mar the gelcoat. We've gone away from brass eyes on all our sun shades.

Perfect. A loop of webbing sewed to the Sunbrella. It can be reinforced with a small square of webbing on the opposit side of the Sunbrella where the threads come through.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:18   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Great guys, but its not webbing loops. Its eyes in the sunbrella. But I do seee the reasons why in other applications.

Thanks Hud 2-3 years is all I need as it will be slightly wrong in colour to the new color scheme for the boat.

Mark

Old 21-10-2010, 06:24   #6

YES

YES....................

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:38   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I got some cheap Sunbrella rip-off and want to whack a metal eye in it so I can tie it to sommit.

Do I need to put a reinforcing layer of cloth on the area and then put the eye in? (Just one of those metal eyes hit with a hammer with a die)

With your answer please don't go berzerko on the "stitch this" and "sow that" because I am hand sowing and its a figgin' pain in the riggin'.

Much obliged for your help.

Mark the Mender...
I made a tailored (Winter) Cover (including around the Mizzen Mast and also for quick and easy access).........using largely a hammer (and which on it's 2nd Winter is still firmly attached )...........to avoid sewing I would use hammer on Poppers to attach a (detachable) Webbing Strap that in turn holds a loop of bungee cord......or instead of a straight webbing strap use an elasticated version (I've used both).

The Bungee Cord gives the cover a little bit of movement, rather than forcing the cover to the chafe against the fixing. So far anyway

Main thing is to ensure the Poppers / Bolts themselves don't chafe against any gelcoat.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 06:39   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Great guys, but its not webbing loops. Its eyes in the sunbrella. But I do seee the reasons why in other applications.

For a man who can't sew you're rather fussy
Old 21-10-2010, 07:19   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Hummm... The webbing loops are supposed to be an alternative to grommets. But, if you’ve got some time on your hands, lay the Sunbrella down on a smooth surface. Place a bronze ring on the Sunbrella at the desired location and baste in place with a few loops of waxed thread (or dental floss) at several locations around the perimeter. Using an Xacto-Knife with a sharp blade, cut through the Sunbrella, across the diameter of the enclosed circle of fabric at two locations 90º from one another leaving 4 wedge shaped segments within the circle of the ring. Fold these up and over the ring and base in place with a few stitches. Then proceed to sew around the perimeter of the “cringle” passing the thread through the fabric and up and over the Sunbrella enclosed ring. A double pass fully enclosing the ring/fabric will ensure the ring is firmly fixed in place. If you want to be really fancy, you can take a strip of thin leather, soaked in water for awhile and fold it over the thread enclosed ring and stitched in place around the outside of the perimeter of the “cringle” although, considering the application, that’s probably not necessary.

Alternately, mark the desired locations and take the fabric to the local sail-maker and have him/her set a few grommets for the price of a beer.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 07:28   #10

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Wish someone would send in a photo of what they are speaking of! Hard time following it as also a reluctant needle and thread guy. An In Progress shot would be even better! Think something like that in a thread and marked would be a great addition and very helpful to us sewing impaired sailors.
Old 21-10-2010, 07:45   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
For a man who can't sew you're rather fussy
At least I am using a NEEDLE and thread not a hammer! "I made a tailored (Winter) Cover .........using largely a hammer".

I think svHyLyte is spot on! However, like Reality Check I can't understand a word of what he's describing!

Actually I do... using the fabric of the actual hole, folded back and sown down.

The sail maker wanted 40 euros just to hem it! not even do the grommits.

OK I think I'm onto a thought.... I just need a bit of spare to practise on....

Oh the exciting days of the cruiser...........

Old 21-10-2010, 12:43   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Ok, photos - Part I

Ok, not great illustrative photos of the cover Will snap some pics of the fittings (I have used a couple of approaches. winter cover = learning curve) in Part II.

BTW the Mobo on the r/h side is the Old Man's and that also be DOJ Senior fitting a new hatch.......
Old 21-10-2010, 13:29   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
on the r/h side is the Old Man......
Is he showing a bit of Plumbers Bum?

Better be carfeul Anjou & Zeehag and a few of the other girls here might start running after him!

Old 21-10-2010, 13:48   #14
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
I use a grommet tool, and I always reinforce the area with either a patch or folded edge. With a patch sew in all edges and x-xrossed. I also used a hammer, pin and shape.on thicker areas
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 14:17   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
yipes. just double the cloth over before you bang in the grommet. the metal hole is called a grommet, not an eye. LOL.. you will do fine--just double the fabric then pound the grommet into the doubled cloth. will be stronger than single. i can no longer sew without a machine, but i know how to do stuff. good luck and have fun.

i dont fall easily, my friend--lol has to do more than just peddle crack to get my attention any more..LOL!!! but the sight of a man doing WORK, now.........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote