Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 11:21   #61

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Re: Plan for Ascending Mast

Just to give everyone a follow-up: After assessing the halyard condition as well as the corresponding blocks, we decided to scrap the retrieval plan. Instead, we have hired a nearby yard to retrieve using their dockside crane for about $250. Going to have them inspect the sheaves while they're up there to see if they need to be swapped out before I convert to all rope halyards.

I'm still itching to climb my mast for the first time but will have to wait for safer conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:22   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
An advise I've once got from a pro rigger was "get winched up, and have a short loop around the mast, attached to the harness for security". If you start falling, you brace against the mast and the loop slows you down, then arrests the fall completely at the nearest spreaders. Sounds kinda plausible, but very painful. Never saw this actually working, because - see above.
Have you ever fallen from height? I have; all be it a ladder and it was so quick the first thing I knew I was on the deck. There is no chance of slowing yourself down.

Thankfully the OP is doing it right as most have suggested by taking the mast down. I use a mast mate but without a second halyard for safety its a no no for me.

For those who like climbing, I love the way he is so casual with the carabiner, me? just just frightened watching from the comfort of the sofa.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:31   #63

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Plan for Ascending Mast

I read his post as he's paying the yard $250 for retrieving the halyard, not dropping the mast. Ouch.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:38   #64

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

better safe than splat
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:56   #65

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I read his post as he's paying the yard $250 for retrieving the halyard, not dropping the mast. Ouch.
I'm still contemplating taking the mast down. Will cost about the same. Just trying to drill down on all the work/inspection that should be done while it's horizontal. I'll at least go ahead and change out the sheaves and convert to all rope halyards. Maybe install a topping lift and/or spare halyard. Anchor light also needs to be replaced. Appears to be a retrofitted LED but does not turn on.

The upside is that my clumsiness with the halyard is forcing me to cross-off some deferred (but not critical as a day sailor) maintenance items off the list.

Thank you everybody for the input and guidance.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 14:51   #66

Boat: Columbia 36

I'm kind of supposed at all the posts I see about people doing all kinds of crazy things to avoid unstepping the mast. You really need to bring them down once in a while to inspect and clean everything. Up here in snow country we haul for six or seven months a year, and many of us unstep about half the time, some every time. Some of the yards even require it of you're not on a cradle. They don't trust you not to blow off the jack stands, although I've never heard of that happening. It's just so much easier and more effective to work on the stock with it on the ground. The yard I store in has a gin pole we use for free, and the Admiral and I can raise our lower the stick on out Columbia 36 in about s half hour, by ourselves. No problem. I sing even think about going aloft anymore, I just lower the mast.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 14:55   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I thought that a bit steep too, they only charged us £90 ($120) for re-stepping the mast after new rigging was fitted and that takes time. However, you don't know if the crane has to be brought in especially for this etc.

Pete
Old 31-05-2016, 15:00   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
I'm still contemplating taking the mast down. Will cost about the same. Just trying to drill down on all the work/inspection that should be done while it's horizontal.
Add a new VHF aerial and a good quality cable to the list, preferably RG8x or R214 I think. Why? have a read of this thread and make the most of the opportunity to do it right.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nna-99651.html
Old 24-07-2017, 09:23   #69

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_757 View Post
Super reference! Saved me from having to ask...

Thanks!
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast