Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 16:46   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Optimum Sail Material for Large Performance Cruiser, Chapter 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
It sounds like the body fabric was very uni-directional in strength for the first two issues.

In laminates we used the range from DP DYS & NS dyneema laminate (the equivalent then of today's tour ultra - given sri lanka I am presuming you are a blue sailmaker now) rolled goods (in tri radial construction obviously) to UK tape drive to NS 3DL (which actually worked well for us in high latitudes - although these were 'special' 'beta' 3DL sails that Dan Neri designed for us, with a dyneema/vectran blend in them) but fell apart in the tropics). In dacron, relatively 'balanced' cloth all in cross cut construction, eg in NS Nordac and not radian type (the radian types were not out then).

Cruising - where upwind performance isn't critical,

hmmm . . . got to say I did not agree with that for Hawk. The boat was specifically designed to get upwind in the high latutudes and we got sails to suit that purpose.

A lot of sailmakers are in the racing mindset.

Yes, this I agree with. It is both in most of their backgrounds, and is also generally where the money is in sail making.

Full time cruising the pacific and SE Asia for 3 years.
The failure mode distribution may well be different for that type of cruising.(and it sounds like you are more woven dacron oriented than we were)
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 16:56   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
In other words, is it the case that a smaller vessel like a 27' coastal cruiser going to benefit more from the less costly dacron than it would (over the longer haul) from the more costly alternatives for hanked on sails?

Bottom line . . . yes, exactly, woven dacron cross cut will be the exact right choice for you.

how does it hold up under light service such as this, over the span of say ten years or so?

Pretty well. Keep it covered when you are not sailing, and make sure your mainsail cover is not 'see thru' by UV . . . . Ah this is one more of those important durability tips . . . SunBrella after about 3 years becomes near transparent to UV and is no longer doing as good a job protecting your sail. You can sew a light taffita under the cover which will increase the UV protection many fold.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:53   #63

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Just thought I would pass on that the North Loft in Oz advised me to hang in there for what was coming down the line by year end in their 3Di development program.

It sounds (hopefully) like there is/may be more focus on longer distance cruising sails that last better. Lots of activity in their 3Di development....stay tuned.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 09:32   #64

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Just to update, here is a recent article on offshore cruising sails. It recommends woven sails, but you have to consider the source. If also talks about failure of carbon sails on a Moody 54.

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/offshore-...tlantic-83937?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 15:01   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Just to update, here is a recent article on offshore cruising sails. It recommends woven sails, but you have to consider the source. If also talks about failure of carbon sails on a Moody 54.

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/offshore-...tlantic-83937?
A sister ship of mine. But my experience with laminate sails has been the exact opposite. I've gotten 10 years and tens of thousands of miles out of my carbon laminate sails without the slightest hint of delamination or mold, and perfect shape through their lives. I'm replacing the mainsail this year just because of UV damage (and sailed a whole season with a rip in the leech without incident). I would never buy another woven sail.

Now mine were made by a great English sailmaker using Bainbridge materials. YMMV if you cheap out on this. But per mile I don't think these are more expensive than other choices. Certainly not per mile with a good shape. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 16:18   #66

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

I concur with DockHead, I shifted to 3Di for the main and have been delighted. Headsails are used UK tape drives which are not as robust but have held up well (much older technology). Performance continues to be spectacular!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail