Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 21:55   #1

Old fashioned aluminium sail track

It is rare that I get cranky. However I have just spent hours trying to find simple seemingly old fashioned mainsail track. I have a well loved Nicholson 32 with a tired main sail track. I recently sore a Nicholson 31 with similar but much heavier duty track. A simple extrusion that accepts slider's and rivets directly to the mast with offset rivets. Do you think I can locate anything that equates this. I don't want plastic, carbon fibre, bat cars (as I enjoy the virtues of a battenless main), ball bearings....ect. It seems what I seek has been superseded. Or maybe not. Any thoughts. I will try and upload a picture however this involves the getting of said pici from a boat that is not mine.
Smudge601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 00:52   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Old fashioned aluminium sail track

Aside from the pics route, for the original track try:
Nicholson Owner's Associations/Groups
Camper Nicholson - As they're still in business
(The) Boat's Spar Maker
Used Gear Chandleries
Riggers - for; the track, or pre-loved spars needing new homes
Boat Yards & Marinas - Same as Riggers

There's also plenty of track still made for various types of old school mainsail slugs & slides. Some of it's screw/bolt on, but if you don't mind swapping track styles it's an option. And there's also lots of track made for other varites of other types of older style slides. Most of it's stainless, which probably makes it easier to fit to a mast from the perspective of joining the sections (via welding).
Check with the various Spar, & Yacht Hardware companies. For some reason Ronstan comes to mind, but there are scores of them.

Also, if you were to put up wanted ads on various bulletin boards; paper & electronic. Then I'd wager that you'd get more offers for track, probably gratis, than you could handle. Just be sure to put the dimensions, specifics, & a few pics in the ads.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:07   #3

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Old fashioned aluminium sail track

What size? And length do you need? I have some old track I could probably get off the old mast it's on.

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail