Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 20:51   #1

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
New Spinlock XTX Textile rope clutch - any user reports?

I've been searching for any test reports or user reports on Spinlocks new textile clutch the XTX range. They seem to be a very attractive solution, if they grip as well as the marketing says. Has anyone read reports or have experience with these?

Being only about 250mm/10 inches long makes them alot easier to mount at helms than the meter long Ronstan Constrictors. And if they grip bare dyneema under halyard loads, I would be really, REALLY happy. The 12mm line one has MWL of 1,200kg.

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:10   #2

Re: New Spinlock XTX Textile rope clutch - any user reports?

BUMP!
Old 21-09-2021, 17:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The picture shows a line with what looks like poly/technora cover going through the clutch. I'd be very surprised if they had a clutch that could hold bare dyneema at any significant load. But a call to Spinlock might answer your question.
Old 22-09-2021, 00:28   #4

Thanks Benz. The reason for my question is that I got conflicting information from Spinlock UK on another of their clutches, and I usually try and get feedback from actual users, who sometimes have a different view than the marketing info.

The other reason is that in testing several brands of clutches, Practical Sailor found the Constrictor textile clutch held small diameter line very well, but larger size ( 12mm from memory) slipped.

But having said all that, I would be very pleased if they did perform well. They are MUCH kinder on covers than ceramic or even anodised alloy jaws and plates.

Maybe someone who has used the XTX will see this thread, and comment....

Tags
clutch, ports, rope