Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 07:34   #31

Boat: Beneteau 343
Re: New Milwaukee Drill works for large mainsail

I bought a brand new looking Milwaukee 7 amp right angle drill from a pawn shop and paired it with a Harken Drill Adapter. For less than $200 I have a pseudo powered winch. Works off of my inverter so I felt cordless wasn't necessary. Having someone hoist me up the mast in the future will be easier and unfurling/furling of the in-mast mainsail can be done when back issues flair up. Seems like it has plenty of power for my situation. Just have to be careful to not use all the way to the end of the process (switch to manual for final foot or so).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...07-6/100040673

https://www.velasailingsupply.com/se...ection=content
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:19   #32

Boat: O'Day 40

I know it's more money but the eWincher looks like a better alternative to an electric winch. Easier to handle and safer.

https://victory-products.com/products/ewincher

Morgan's Cloud did a test on it recently. (Attainable Adventure Cruising)
Old 22-01-2021, 10:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I know it's more money but the eWincher looks like a better alternative to an electric winch. Easier to handle and safer.

*cough* *choke*
Ridiculous!! At that price... it’s a complete non-starter for most sailers. And if they can afford that kind of kit... they’ve probably already got electric winches!!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:22   #34

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post

But my gawd the price! It's five times as expensive as the M28 Milwaukee drill and not nearly as versatile! (It can't be used as a drill).
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:03   #35

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1480

I tried to buy a second hand one on this very forum but was too late and it sold quickly. In Australia they are no longer available replaced by the 18V fuel. In my search here I found that both the De Walt 139nm and Makita 145nm had more torque than the Milwauke so I ended up going with the De Walt.
com5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 19:04   #36

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by com5984 View Post
I tried to buy a second hand one on this very forum but was too late and it sold quickly. In Australia they are no longer available replaced by the 18V fuel. In my search here I found that both the De Walt 139nm and Makita 145nm had more torque than the Milwauke so I ended up going with the De Walt.
What was the weight?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 02:16   #37

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Weight is an issue !

And the fact, that you buy things designed in the USA, but is now all made in China.
They make a lot of stuff there. Viruses too...
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 14:18   #38

Boat: Beneteau 321

Any thoughts on using the 28V Milwaukee to power my manual anchor windlass.
It's a Simpson Lawrence Anchorman mounted to my 32' Beneteau, do you think the offset hole would be an issue. A lot easier and cheaper than installing and wiring an electric windlass.
Attached Images

Bfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 15:58   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranz View Post
Any thoughts on using the 28V Milwaukee to power my manual anchor windlass.
It's a Simpson Lawrence Anchorman mounted to my 32' Beneteau, do you think the offset hole would be an issue. A lot easier and cheaper than installing and wiring an electric windlass.
Sadly, I don't believe that the Millie will help with that design windlass. If you think about it, when operating a normal winch, one rotates the winch handle around the central axis of the drive bit, and that is replicated with the electric drill device. But in your windlass, the winch handle does not rotate thus, but drives the gypsy around its axis.

Bummer, but true!

Jim
Old 25-01-2021, 18:05   #40

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sadly, I don't believe that the Millie will help with that design windlass. If you think about it, when operating a normal winch, one rotates the winch handle around the central axis of the drive bit, and that is replicated with the electric drill device. But in your windlass, the winch handle does not rotate thus, but drives the gypsy around its axis.

Bummer, but true!

Jim

Yeah, just what I was thinking. It would be a really weird feeling in your hands.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:53   #41

Wondering if you have actually been using this one for a large mainsail. Mine is 540 sq ft. An other contributor mentioned that the 2709 would be better with more torque but it seems that this drill may have been discontinued. Looking for input on the 2809. Thanks
Mawingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:32   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I wonder how the torque compares between the Super HAWG above, and the standard HAWG - photo below?
I can’t find any of the manufactures providing torque specs.
The difference between the two is one speed (1500 rpm) vs two speed (1500 and 500 rpm). The two speed version at low speed has 3x the torque, than the single speed drill.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 13:16   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
The difference between the two is one speed (1500 rpm) vs two speed (1500 and 500 rpm). The two speed version at low speed has 3x the torque, than the single speed drill.
Correct. I was able to determine that separately some time ago (this is an old thread). What I was not ever able to determine was the torque of these new models compared to the old 28v tool. Nor was I able to determine the torque for their mud mixer which appears to be a high torque, low speed tool that would probably work perfectly, and be more compact than the Hole Hawg. The manufacturer was ZERO help in providing information. When specifically asked for torque values for the 3 products I was trying to compare... after 3 weeks of not hearing from them... told me they “don’t rate them for torque because they are drills”... which was one of the stupidest, laziest, non-answers I’ve gotten for a while. BTW... they DO list torque ratings for some of their other drills. I’ll definitely be looking at other manufacturers for options before buying.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 13:42   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Correct. I was able to determine that separately some time ago (this is an old thread). What I was not ever able to determine was the torque of these new models compared to the old 28v tool. Nor was I able to determine the torque for their mud mixer which appears to be a high torque, low speed tool that would probably work perfectly, and be more compact than the Hole Hawg. The manufacturer was ZERO help in providing information. When specifically asked for torque values for the 3 products I was trying to compare... after 3 weeks of not hearing from them... told me they “don’t rate them for torque because they are drills”... which was one of the stupidest, laziest, non-answers I’ve gotten for a while. BTW... they DO list torque ratings for some of their other drills. I’ll definitely be looking at other manufacturers for options before buying.
I went down the same road. I thought about the mud mixer, but have doubts. Its speed is listed at 550 rpms, which is slow, but not that slow, the 2709 slow is 350 rpm. It is light at 6 lbs compared to 13+ lbs for the 2709. My guess is this partially due to the weight of the 2 speed gear box compared to the single speed. However, I suspect the motor in the 2709 is bigger.

As for torque, the most I have ever seen listed, for any power hand tool is 1,100 to 1,200 in lbs. I have tools with that rating and are at the limit of what I can safely handle. I suspect manufacturers don't go much higher for safety reasons. 1,200 in lbs is 100 ft lbs. So an 18" handle at 100 ft lbs requires 75 pounds of force to hold it in place, which is significant.

Although, I admittedly, don't know for sure, I suspect there is not much difference in torque between the 28v right angle and 18v Milwaukee 2709 right angle.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 13:42   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawingo View Post
Wondering if you have actually been using this one for a large mainsail. Mine is 540 sq ft. An other contributor mentioned that the 2709 would be better with more torque but it seems that this drill may have been discontinued. Looking for input on the 2809. Thanks

If it is of any help, I use my 28V Milwaukee to raise my 925 square foot fully battened mainsail (heavy), or a large human, to the top of my 71 foot tall mast, with no issues. I do use the low speed direction on the winch, reverse on the drill, and it is two part halyard.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail, work