Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2021, 09:21   #16

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: New Milwaukee Drill works for large mainsail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Where do you get the bit that you chuck into the drill and fits in the winch?
Search "winch bit". Several places and manufacturers.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 09:34   #17

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Search "winch bit". Several places and manufacturers.
We bought ours from Harken.

Also recommend you spend the extra money (what did I just say????) on getting a second battery. We have found that unless it comes right off the charger the battery is laboring by the time it gets the sail up our 65' mast. Just peace of mind knowing there's another one in case you forget to charge immediately.

They're very spendy though.
Old 19-01-2021, 10:03   #18

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I decided to go a similar route when I added a winch last year. Quote for an electric one, including installation was ridiculously expensive. I know a lot of folks use the large Milwaukee angle head drill. Is there much torque transferred through the handle of this straight drill - ie: hard to hold? Did you compare any other brands?
You need to be careful. I always run mine in reverse in my two-speed winches so they run in low gear. That way the speed and back-torque are very manageable. You still need to be careful though. As a line comes up REALLY tight it could break your wrist.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 11:57   #19

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I decided to go a similar route when I added a winch last year. Quote for an electric one, including installation was ridiculously expensive. I know a lot of folks use the large Milwaukee angle head drill. Is there much torque transferred through the handle of this straight drill - ie: hard to hold? Did you compare any other brands?
Because it is a big angle drill, you've got a lot of leverage between the chuck and the hand grip - so the torque is very manageable. I always run mine in reverse in my two-speed winches so they run in low gear. Also have the drill assembled for the slowest speed, highest torque output. That way the speed and back-torque are reasonable. You still need to be careful though. As a line comes up REALLY tight it could break your wrist.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 12:47   #20

I use a 1/2 inch Milkauee 18 volt regular drill to assist in raising my mast on Magregor 26S with a roller furler. I use a block and tacklewith 4:1line ran back to my cabin top winch. I have a 1x2 board hose clamped to the handle which rest against the life line stanchon. It does't have enough tork on the inial pull so I assist with pulling with one hand. Itsaves a lot of hand cranking.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 13:25   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Because it is a big angle drill, you've got a lot of leverage between the chuck and the hand grip - so the torque is very manageable. I always run mine in reverse in my two-speed winches so they run in low gear. Also have the drill assembled for the slowest speed, highest torque output. That way the speed and back-torque are reasonable. You still need to be careful though. As a line comes up REALLY tight it could break your wrist.

I do the same. By the way, the 18 volt drill is nowhere near as strong as the 28 volt one. There were quite a few complaints when the smaller one was the standard. I have never heard of anyone not happy with the 28 volt one. I tested quite a few 18 volt models before buying the 28. No problem raising my 923 sq. ft. main up the 70 foot mast, or a person, for that matter.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 15:43   #22

Boat: Fusion 40

I understand you can buy the Milwaukee right hand attachment separately. I have found the V28 batteries do not cut the mustard. The M28 batteries are AU$300 and hard to get in Australia. My 28v right angle drill works great but is heavy and cumbersome when I have to get to the mast on the foredeck.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 16:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
M18 FUEL™ SUPER HAWG™ 1/2" Right Angle Drill Kit Model 2809-22
I wonder how the torque compares between the Super HAWG above, and the standard HAWG - photo below?
I can’t find any of the manufactures providing torque specs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA8EAB64-5034-4A2E-8F09-767AECA277D1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	230700  
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 17:07   #24

I also stumbled across this while searching alternatives. It is a high torque, low speed mud mixer. Max rpm is 550 - similar to the low speed setting in the right angle drill. The second handle adjusts from 90° to 180° offset, so you can get a solid, two-handed grip. Might make a good winch cranker!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7E0EF26-AECA-405B-832E-35895C5CD4C7.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	230703   Click image for larger version

Name:	66D4ADF6-9643-4A59-9839-13AAE38485E4.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	230704  

Old 19-01-2021, 19:25   #25

Boat: C&C

We've been using the 28V Milwaukee angle drill for 7-8 years now. My wife can easily handle it after a little practise and haul me up the 54 ft mast no problem!
She can have it under control with one hand and tail with the other due to the trigger orientation on the handle. This helps give her with leverage on holding it down from all the torgue. Can't see how your going to handle either of these other 2 drills with one hand if they have enough torgue to do the job. Just because they have power doesn't mean anything if you can't properly and safely handle it. The Hole Hog trigger placement looks scary to me if you attempt one handed operation! How else is only one person going to safely hoist you up if they don't have a hand on the tailing coming off the winch as your being hoisted!?!?!?
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 23:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
How else is only one person going to safely hoist you up if they don't have a hand on the tailing coming off the winch as your being hoisted!?!?!?
Uh... self tailing winches? The same way they do now because it takes both their hands on the winch handle to manually muscle-crank someone up the mast.
Old 20-01-2021, 05:50   #27

Boat: C&C

I wouldn't be trusting the jaws on a self-tailing winch when I'm going up 50 ft and neither should anyone else if they value their lives! Most ladies and men wouldn't be able to grind someone up 50 foot with the. standard winches on a decent sized cat or large mono too easily and most who want a winch assistant are looking for that reason. What I'm also mentioning here is putting your wrist into a position where it could be easily broken if you attempted one handed operation under heavy load.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 12:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
I wouldn't be trusting the jaws on a self-tailing winch when I'm going up 50 ft and neither should anyone else if they value their lives! Most ladies and men wouldn't be able to grind someone up 50 foot with the. standard winches on a decent sized cat or large mono too easily and most who want a winch assistant are looking for that reason. What I'm also mentioning here is putting your wrist into a position where it could be easily broken if you attempted one handed operation under heavy load.
Respectfully, the majority of sailboats don’t have electric winches, nor motorized accessory tools. Folks are hand cranked up all the time - requiring two hands on the winch handle. I’ve done it and witnessed it often. Not sure why you think it isn’t/can’t be done. I don’t trust my life on the self-tailing device, nor a single hand on the tail of the rope. A safety line is required as a belay and slack should be taken up every few feet of rise. The same pause-and-adjust is used on the way down. In regard to broken wrists, care must be taken whenever using power tools - especially in high torque situations. The Milwaukee owners manual actually warns of this. Always position your hand and engage the trigger such that it will twist out/away from from your hand. I hope this helps.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:13   #29

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionshooter View Post
M18 FUEL™ SUPER HAWG™ 1/2" Right Angle Drill Kit Model 2809-22
Check the weight
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 18:17   #30

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I do the same. By the way, the 18 volt drill is nowhere near as strong as the 28 volt one. There were quite a few complaints when the smaller one was the standard. I have never heard of anyone not happy with the 28 volt one. I tested quite a few 18 volt models before buying the 28. No problem raising my 923 sq. ft. main up the 70 foot mast, or a person, for that matter.
Check the new Fuel model. Specs are outstanding and weighs less.
28v system is being discontinued.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail, work