Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 17:05   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
New genoa roller furling line and genoa sheets

Can someone make a recommendation on what to get for a roller furling line and sheets for my genoa. Boat is Tayana Flying dutchman. 50' heavy displacement vessel.

Currently I have about a 100' dual braid 7/16" line for roller furling, I took about 8 feet of inner core at the beginning to make the drum able to take the entire sail without getting clogged on Profurl LC42 drum.

My sheets are 5/8"(i think) very old 65' each. I was thinking I might want the eye splice to facilitate attachment at the clew. I was using a bowline and I guess that is 50% strength reduction right at the clew. If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 18:35   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: New genoa roller furling line and genoa sheets

OK, I'll take a stab at it!

Furling line: you might consider going to 10 mm spectra core line here. Easily strong enough, and with the smaller diameter, you would not need to remove the core at all (something that I do not like because of UV damage to the remaining cover, weakening the part which gets the highest loads).

For the sheets, 5/8 double braid dacron would be quite adeqate. I have moved to using eye splices at the ends with separate soft shackles to make the attachments at the clew. Works really well, with little hangup and easy removal when needed. I also changed from 5/8 down to 14 mm (9/16 in Yank speak) with good results, but my boat is lighter and has a smaller genoa than yours likely does, so the smaller line might be too stretchy.

Good luck with the decisions,

Jim

Tags
furling, Genoa, roller furling, sheets