Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 05:02   #1

Boat: CT-47
Remove mizzen masthead whilst in water

Is it possible to remove a mizzen masthead whilst in the water?
We have a Selden /Kemp mast on our CT 47 Ketch

My guess yes ... secure mizzen to main mast....
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:47   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Remove mizzen masthead whilst in water

Masthead as in the cast piece that sits atop the mast?

Sure it’s possible, if you can find a way to remove the halyards from it and still keep your body safely up there.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:50   #3

Correct cast piece on the top... we have mast steps... would secure my self with a tether around the mast.
Old 26-05-2020, 06:10   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Unfamiliar w/a CT47 shroud set up on the mizzen. I assume you don't need to remove any shrouds to remove the masthead. If not, should be fairly straight forward.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:51   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

I am not familiar with the specific mast/masthead, but there should be only a lot of work, nothing that forbids the pricedure.
You will need to think in advance what tools you need while up if you do not want to go up several times (or take up a basket with a long tether that can be used as a lift for anything required).
You will need to disconnect all equipment installed on top, e. g. VHF antenna, Windex, and secure the cables from disappearing down the mast tube.
You can use the suggested basket to send down any dismantled unit.
How is the mast top connected to the mast? Bolts? Rivets? If rivets, you need a tool to drill them out.
Basically, I would go up to see what is to be done, than go down to prepare tools to take up with the option to send items up and down as required to a friend on deck.
Old 26-05-2020, 10:53   #6

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

The safest way would be to tie up against a bulk head and rent a 100' high reach (cherry picker) for a day. They will deliver and pick up the high reach when you are done.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:00   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
The safest way would be to tie up against a bulk head and rent a 100' high reach (cherry picker) for a day. They will deliver and pick up the high reach when you are done.
If possible,
This will be more expensive but also much safer approach.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 16:39   #8

It seems to me that if you are going to remove the masthead then you intend to do a fair bit of work on it.
Have you considered what wiring etc. may be involved? Do you wish to add any other wiring such as an AIS or TV antenna or a wind direction indicator that may be visible from a centre cockpit? Covid virus deflector such as a picture of some well known public figure?

Also working at the top of a mast is no fun and dangerous, particularly if some of the rigging is attached to the head and needs removal.

I would seriously consider having the entire mast lifted and laid on a jetty or the deck where you can work in safety and comfort. This should not be expensive as the mast with all the rigging should weigh in at er.. er ..um .. not much.

I had both masts removed from my 16 m ketch for a slab of beer in Darwin using a mobile small jetty crane. He wanted two slabs of beer to replace them later.

Does your rig have a triatic stay, linking the mizzen head to the main head? If so, how is it connected?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 16:40   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

With mast steps I believe you will be fine. I have steps on both of my masts. My mizzen running backstays are married to the mast cap. So I would need to secure a substitute. Shrouds are mounted just below.
As mentioned earlier a bosun’s bag/bucket makes lowering and raising tools and such easier.
Do you have a matching step at the masthead workstation? If not this would be an opportune time to install one. Without matching steps at spreader and masthead work stations the man aloft reaches fatigue level much faster than one with matching steps.
I recommend to all who have steps to invest in a lineman’s belt. This is the safety belt used by those who work aloft on towers, poles and trees. It’s a secure belt with a snap on lanyard. I climb and then wrap my lanyard twice around the mast. From there I can lean back on the belt and work for extended periods safely and securely.
Old 27-05-2020, 01:30   #10

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Will keep you posted once the project has been completed

Tags
head, mast, water