Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 11:17   #16

Re: New Dyform Compact Wire Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Navtec have not sold Dyform for years. Nobody sells Dyform in sizes for yachts, not even Bridon.
We sell Hamma pro which is a form of Dyform.from Australia. Top316 marine grade up to 16 mm.

Westside rigging fiji
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Hello, does anyone have any experience with the new compacted wire (maybe 8/10mm) that replaced Dyform recently? I think one maker is in Australia.

Is it as well made as the old Dyform wire, does it hold up well, etc??

Planning to replace our standing rigging soon and would like to get any feedback if possible...We are presently located in the US

Thanks...
We sell a wire that is called Hamma Pro(it is a compacted "dyform" style of wire, which comes via Australia. Made by Kos wire in Korea. 20% stronger than other 1x19 wires, and our 1X19 hamma X is 20 % stronger than other 316 1X19 wires. The hamma pro goes up to 16mm
been used in the marine industry for 20 years here in the pacific. Top grade marine wire made for the marine environment.
Bruce, Westside rigging Wire Ltd, Fiji
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:57   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus View Post
Jim, are you by any chance using swageless terminals (eg. Sta-lok, Norseman or other) with your Compact Strand wire rope?

Just wondering whether any fittings are compatible.
I have used both Sta-Loc and Norseman with Dyform et al. You need cones that are designed for the different wire, but they are available... except that here on CF we have been informed that Norseman cones (of all types) are no longer available. I have not personally verified this... hope that it isn't true, because this boat is all Norseman!

Jim
Old 09-05-2016, 19:11   #19

Boat: Able 50

Quite correct Jim. Scroll down to the 2nd item.

Navtec News
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 19:26   #20

Boat: Pearson 40

I thought that Navtec recently went out of business, I know for sure that Norseman is not made any more and replacement cones are not to be found here in the US.

Bruce, what is the compatability of the Hamma Pro compact wire with Mechanical terminals such as stalock, Hayn, etc?? Navtec says that the new compact wire does not work with the Norseman Cones for Dyform (I have spare dyform cones).
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 19:28   #21

Apparently Hayn is the only one who has tested their terminals with compact wire, nobody else seems to have done that...theirs apparently works with dyform cones!

Whew, we got all Norseman here also!!
Old 09-05-2016, 19:40   #22

Rigger Bruce, Koss is a brand that is good and been dependable for years here in the US but the compact type is still untested...PLs read above
Old 09-05-2016, 20:01   #23

With the tens of thousands of Norseman fittings in the world, surely someone will step in and make the cones. Seems an ideal project for a small shop with a CNC capability. Or is Gibb themselves still in business?

What a crappy thing for Navtec (never one of my favorite vendors) to do... stopping support for products they have sold for so long.

Not a happy camper, am I!

Jim
Old 10-05-2016, 04:20   #24

Good news Jim, my good friend is a highly skilled machinist (read obsessed with perfection) and he is in the process now of making Norseman Cones for 8mm and 10mm (these sizes for now). I just send him the original samples last week. Ill let you in the next few weeks ...I assume you have 10mm on your rig

Cheers!
Ovi
Old 14-05-2016, 04:25   #25

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

SilverP, is your friend making these Norseman cones for re-sale? In metric size 8 and 10 mm? For Compact Wire? I might be interested. Let me know.
Or does anyone else know a source, ie closer to home (Australia)?
Old 14-05-2016, 19:49   #26

Yes Hank he is making them for himself and I (8 and 10mm). He is amaking an initial run of about 100 each to start out of 316L ss. If you are interested let me know. He is also going to do pull tests with 1x19 and comapct wire.
Old 14-05-2016, 21:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Good news Jim, my good friend is a highly skilled machinist (read obsessed with perfection) and he is in the process now of making Norseman Cones for 8mm and 10mm (these sizes for now). I just send him the original samples last week. Ill let you in the next few weeks ...I assume you have 10mm on your rig

Cheers!
Ovi
Hey, that's great news! I will be interested in some 10 mm Dyform/Compact ones for caps, lowers and forestays, and 7 mm for the intermediates if he should decide to make that size as well. Do keep me informed, and thanks for thinking of me!

Jim
Old 09-12-2016, 09:49   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Did anyone find a good source for compact strand wire? And any reviews of whether the company(s) making it are reputable?

It looks like Alps "XXX" compact wire is the brand and product name currently sold by most rigging shops. (Talk about a bad name for a product - don't try googling for "XXX" wire!)

West Marine, Rigworks.com, Rigshop.com, and DownwindMarine all list it, but only up to 6mm size. I need 7mm. West Marine has their 3-6mm on "clearance". Which makes me think maybe Alps stopped making > 6mm and 7mm is going to be hard to find.

Hayn makes Hi-Mod swageless fittings for 7mm compact strand, so at least that is relatively easy to find.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 20:29   #29

Try Tom at Rigging Only. They have a good selection of compact wire. Alps is only a rename for Koss, a good Korean manufacturer that makes most wire sold today for the pleasure yacht market.

Regards
Ovi

Tags
reviews