Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2018, 07:07   #1

Need to replace mainsail on O'Day 25

Hello everyone, I want to replace the mainsail on a 1979 O'Day 25 center board model, and I have found a couple of places online that seems interesting. The boat ia a club boat used on Lake Champlain and is not used for racing, so I don't need a high performance sail. My question is can those online stores be trusted or should I go directly to a sail maker's shop?
saxoldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 14:53   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Need to replace mainsail on O'Day 25

My preference is to support the local small businesses. Shop for price on the Internet and ask for a reasonable quote from the local guy based on your newly acquired knowledge of the going rate. There is real value in a local guy measuring beforehand and ensuring a proper fit once the product is completed.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 00:20   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Need to replace mainsail on O'Day 25

Just remember: sails don't always come out right, no matter who the sailmaker might be. If it is from a local shop, there's someone to shout at. If it comes from the far East somewhere, well, shouting isn't very effective!

You may luck out and get exactly what you wanted, ordered and paid for... and you may not!

There is also the benefit of establishing a working relationship with a local guy. You can learn lots from chatting with him, and if you continue on in sailing this will not be the last sail you buy.

It's pretty obvious which choice I'd make!

Jim

Tags
mainsail, sail