Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2009, 20:58   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Need Help with Rivets for Jib Furler

My jib furler is missing three pop rivets as shown in attached photo. Some of these tend to pop out every year, I'm not sure why. Last time the marina replaced them but I'd like to do it myself this time. I measured the hole and it was about 1/5" or 1/4" across. The metal it has to go through is probably about 1/5" thick. I believe the furler is Plastimo, probably made in France with metric sizes. I would guess it's made out of aluminum.

I don't know anything about rivets. Could someone tell me what tool I should buy and what kind of rivet? Is this easy to fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jib furler rivets.JPG
Views:	1178
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	9088  
Joe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:28   #2

Don't let me lie to you on this application cause I've not had to deal with rivits on a furller but most small rivits (smaller than your pinkie finger, maybe a little exaggerated) are easy to do yourself with a simple rivit gun that works like a staple gun. I would contact the manufacturer to make sure of what rivit it takes cause of guage and how strong of the individual rivit and if its stainless steel or aluminum or so on.
Matt
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 21:58   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Hi, i think loosing rivets in the furler is because maybe you have a sagy furler, check the backstay tension, to much sag and the aluminium extrusion start to flex a lot, and the rivets sufer, 2 option the marina dont do it well, using the wrong rivet size, dont use stainles steel rivets in aluminium , galvanic corrosion result, try the proper rivet size , use aluminium rivet or monel rivets, if you dont believe in rivets use stainles screws , but put some Tef Gel in the screw to prevent corrosion.
Good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 01:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Riveters ain't riveters...

I'm also looking to do some serious riveting on my mast.
I found there is a big difference between the sort of riveter that I can buy from my local hardware store (struggles with 1/8" rivets) and a serious tool.

Riveting on a boat is done in all sorts of odd positions, just to make things more difficult.

I'd be interested to hear if any member can recommend a rivet tool.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 04:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Alcoa Fastening Systems (Marson):

Alcoa Fastening Systems

http://www.afs-idg.com/Marson_Catalog.pdf

Hand rivet tools start on page 18, with the “Big Daddy’s” on pg. 19.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 06:24   #6

Hi Gord, I saw that one on defender. $77 in a set that comes with lots of rivets or $48 without rivets. In contrast, Northern tools sells one for $13. Is there a difference? Rivet Tool and Assorted Rivets | Rivet Tools | Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 25-07-2009, 07:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which Marsson tool did you see at defender ($77)?

Sometimes higher priced tools aren't worth the extra money; but seldom are lower priced tools worth the savings - or - you don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for.

Old 25-07-2009, 18:32   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Mast steps?

All the better rivet tools look to be powered by compressed air.

So could I put in mast steps with the mast in the boat or is this a mast out job?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 15:19   #9

Gord, they have the Marson 39001, heavy duty hand rivet tool with 5 boxes of assorted rivets. Comes with nosepieces for sizes 3/32 to 3/16. Actually, will this even work? When I measured the hole in my furler it was somewhere between 0.2" and 0.25", it was hard to measure exactly. The largest rivet of 3/16=0.1875". Does it matter if the rivet is a little small? Maybe my furler was metric 0.5cm or 0.197" so the rivet would only be a little small. Do you think I might need the air powered rivet tool for anything? I also don't have an air compressor and I imagine those are pretty bulky and expensive.
Old 27-07-2009, 16:14   #10

To put in a few rivets you dont need a pneumatic gun. You do need the rivet to fit properly though! Measure the hole precisely. Do you have a set of drill bits? these can be used to measure a hole. They may be coming out because someone put US inch rivets in metric holes! I suppose they could be 7/32 us rivets (.219 diameter) Can you tell fromteh other rivets if they are loose? Can you tell if they are Alum or SS? Scratch the head of one with a sharp pin or something. If it gouges it's alum, if not it's stainless most likely. If most rivets are loose, consider getting the right ones from the manufacturer and doing it right ...and doing it once!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 16:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No - you don’t necessarily need a pneumatic tool; but you don’t want to install an undersized rivet. The hole clearance should match the rivet diameter exactly.
Check the furler instructions; but I expect that the 1/4" rivet will be about right for that application.
Don’t pay $77 for the 390001 Kit - they can be had for <$45, and the HP2 Riveter for <$30.
Marson 39001 HP2 Professional Riveter 200 Kit

Gotta run - LIGHTNING STORM.

Old 27-07-2009, 16:31   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Plastimo is French but many rivets used in the EU are English sizes, the rest is metric.

You can have 7/32" or maybe 6mm which is larger but just short of 1/4" (1/4" = 6.35 mm). You should use a good caliper to measure the hole. It will have a metric scale in addition to the inches thing. Drill bits is the next best thing. Ask this for your next birthday: Amazon.com: Mitutoyo 500-196-20 0-6" Digimatic Caliper: Industrial & Scientific

If you can't find the right size, the best thing to do is to go up the the first larger size you can find (reasonably close). Drill for those and rivet them.

Monel rivets can be hard to find. Ask a rigger, he will have them. If you use stainless steel rivets, coat them in TefGel.

If you use rivets that are smaller than the hole, you will loose them again and again and again.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler