Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2021, 20:44   #1

Mast Track Hunter Passage 42

Have a 1994 Hunter Passage 42 with 3.5" mast track for Spinniker pole.
Looks like track has never been used. Someone told me to bolt a newer track to mast as original Z Spar Car and track did not work very well. looking for someone with first hand experience with this type system to confirm or deny before I buy a new Car or bolt new track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210610_085802841_HDR.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	247596  
EasySquezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:58   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Mast Track Hunter Passage 42

The track (extrusion, really) looks like it only needs a car so you can see for yourself if it works. Unless you're racing in quite changeable conditions, the spinnaker pole car doesn't usually have to be moved around much. Many boats have a fixed padeye on the mast for the spinnaker pole fitting. If you're cruising, once it's in position it can probably be left in one place for most of the season. Set it up so the crew can lift the mast end of the pole up to attach it, and leave it there. People who say it's difficult to use may have been setting the pole up flat on deck and trying to lift the mast and guy ends both at the same time. THAT would be liable to having it jam.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 12:18   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Mast Track Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySquezy View Post
Have a 1994 Hunter Passage 42 with 3.5" mast track for Spinniker pole.
Looks like track has never been used. Someone told me to bolt a newer track to mast as original Z Spar Car and track did not work very well. looking for someone with first hand experience with this type system to confirm or deny before I buy a new Car or bolt new track.
I believe that the original system had a wide car that runs up and down on the front of the mast, with rollers or wheels. You can see the indentation where the car could be put on the mast or removed, and a bolt just above to keep the car from coming down too far and coming off.

If you had the original car I'd clean it up and lube it and try it. Obviously you'll need control lines for raising and lowering the butt end, and a pole lift and downhaul for raising and lowering the tip (outboard end). That is quite a lot of rigging and messing around just to try a spinnaker pole. Most cruising boats (and race boats) now use asymmetrical spinnakers for which poles are not often needed.

Maybe you wish to set a pole like a whisker pole for flying a jib down wind. In that case a ring on the mast or other simple attachement point about chest high would do fine.

If you are racing with a symmetrical spinnaker then you need a moveable pole and it must be able to run smoothly. In that case it is possible that a new track would be advantageous, but I'd still try the original first.

Tags
hunter, mast, passage