Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2023, 09:29   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Marlow Blue Ocean double braid line for sheets

Has anyone tried out the Marlow Blue Ocean double braid which is made from 100% recycled plastic bottles?

It's somewhat new in Marlow's lineup which is making it hard to find any reviews online. I'm considering it for genoa sheets on a cruising boat (don't need super low stretch but looking for moderate / mid-grade performance).

The Blue Ocean is well priced ($1.46/ft for 12mm at my local Fisheries Supply) and it says it has a soft feel on the hands, which would make it good for headsail sheets.

I would normally go with Sta-Set but considering trying something new. If anything, Blue Ocean has cooler colors than boring old Sta-Set (more comparable to euro style like New England's Endura braid, which is too expensive for my budget).

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/marl...lebraid/kb4576
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marlow.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	271209  
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 13:27   #2

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: Marlow Blue Ocean double braid line for sheets

Wonder the difference between that and Dacron? UV protection?
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 14:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I have used it and spliced it and find it indistinguishable from Sta-set. It's fine, high-quality line.
Don't know how durable it is, since it's new on the market, but I like it so far.
Old 19-06-2023, 17:40   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I just got some 12mm for my main sheet. I also got some MarlowBraid in 12mm. A very noticeable size difference, quite a bit smaller. I called the dealer to say this didnt look right and asked him to double check the spool. he confirmed it was the correct 12mm and go ahead and use it.

Well needless to say, installed it and went for a sail and it failed. Slides right through my spin lock 8-14mm clutch. not only is it smaller but the core is super soft and just squishes without binding. Had to use slip knots to hold it or keep it locked on a winch.

There happened to be a Jeanneau dealer head of service at the marina I was at and he confirmed my clutches were fine and the Ocean Blue sheet was bunk.

Put my old sheet back on and waiting to hear back from the dealer. I think something was mucked up, whether bad batch, or mislabeled spool? no way should that line work like that.

Black/white is Blue Ocean, white red is MarlowBraid. Both are supposed to be 12mm. I will say that it feels great in the hand and wish it worked or can sort this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blueOcean image002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	276996  
Old 22-06-2023, 03:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
I just got some 12mm for my main sheet. I also got some MarlowBraid in 12mm. A very noticeable size difference, quite a bit smaller. I called the dealer to say this didnt look right and asked him to double check the spool. he confirmed it was the correct 12mm and go ahead and use it.

Well needless to say, installed it and went for a sail and it failed. Slides right through my spin lock 8-14mm clutch. not only is it smaller but the core is super soft and just squishes without binding. Had to use slip knots to hold it or keep it locked on a winch.

There happened to be a Jeanneau dealer head of service at the marina I was at and he confirmed my clutches were fine and the Ocean Blue sheet was bunk.

Put my old sheet back on and waiting to hear back from the dealer. I think something was mucked up, whether bad batch, or mislabeled spool? no way should that line work like that.

Black/white is Blue Ocean, white red is MarlowBraid. Both are supposed to be 12mm. I will say that it feels great in the hand and wish it worked or can sort this out.
The blue ocean feels squishier than your old Marlowbraid for two reasons: first, it's newer, and new polyester rope is always pretty soft. Second, Marlowbraid is 3-strand with an overbraided cover, so it's a completely different construction. Polyester ropes usually get fatter with age, and as the cover wears slightly, grip improves.
While it's possible that the rope dealer accidentally spooled off some 11mm, it's far more likely that the old sheet works because it's old and fat and stiff.
But I'm concerned that you're putting sheets in a clutch--that's not usually done. How do you let fly quickly when the line's taut?
Old 22-06-2023, 09:23   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Thanks for the reply, interesting points I wasn't aware of, but still... a new 12mm sheet should perform off the shelf in a 8mm-14mm clutch and not have a break-in period to get old, fat and stiff. No way am I paying $300 on a new rope that needs to get old like the one it is replacing to work.

The dealer has reached out to Marlow and will see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
But I'm concerned that you're putting sheets in a clutch--that's not usually done. How do you let fly quickly when the line's taut?
I have a German system that allows me to control the main sheet from both helms. one side will be active on the winch and the other be locked off. There are also times when both may be locked off like when furling in Genoa or gennaker.

Tags
sheets