Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34
Leading lines back from Genoa car

I am about to upgrade the cars on my genoa tracks and at the same time bring the adjustment to the cockpit instead of the pin / track system currently in place. I am doing this on a Beneteau Oceanis 34 and am wondering how others may have laid this out. Not so much in the location of the track or type of cars, etc.I am going with Harken. What I would really like to see is some photos how what it looks like in the cockpit. Did you simply bring the lead back to a cam cleat fitted to the deck? Did you use a block to route the lead into the cockpit? Where? Ahead of the headsail winch? Aft?
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:07   #2

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362
Re: Leading lines back from Genoa car

I am a big Garhauer fan and that what's on my Sabre 362. When laying out cam, or whatever, cleats, but sure to run the genoa sheets first. I set the cam cleats for the forward pull with sheets off and then found they conflict a bit.
Forward pull cam cleats are fixed to outsides of cockpit. Cam cleats for aft pull are on the track tail fitting.
Photos are not the clearest but you can see it. If you zoom in, you can see layout. First one looks forward, second two are looking aft. Last is all the way forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0166.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	163616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0169.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	163617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0171.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	163618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0172.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	163619  

Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 13:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

Thanks Shorty - I've downloaded the photos and will peruse later this afternoon / evening and come back with any questions.

Cheers,
Graham
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07   #4

I not a Garhauer fan based on their products rust and or corrode. Harken is the way to go. We just did a complete rebuild and used Harken Genoa cars.
Sailingracedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:36   #5

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362

Interesting. In 14 years of use I have never seen any corrosion. Have also been through plenty of conditions with significant loads. I am in the cool of Maine with steady air flow. Are you in a corrosive environment?
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Garhauer blocks are stainless steel. They may get surface corrosion either from the machining or just because stainless isn't really stainless. A little 'Barkeepers Friend' or Oxalic acid and they are bright and shiny again. Having said that, have had little staining with the Garhauer products I've got. Will put up with a little staining for the more than 50% savings over the cost of the other guys. FWIW, Garhauer are great people to work with. Will modify stock parts or do custom work at very little additional cost.

Ran the control lines on my Garhauer Line adjustable cars back to a jam cleat on the outboard side of the cockpit coaming. Kept the line out of the cockpit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa