Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 12:55   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: is good rope the same as expensive rope

I was kind of hoping this thread would go in the direction of some good Amazon or Aliexpress deals. Anything unconventional. I've found some deals on Dyneema there. See, the quality was slightly lower, but the strength was as advertised (I tested it).
Old 29-07-2021, 14:22   #17

I would rather not go off on a tangent re climbing rope. It is not relevant to the discussion.

I am trying to find out if there is some way of determining whether one kind of rope is better than any other. Recognizing that their are factors other than the tensile strength. I know of no published data in this regard.

I am not in the position that I can ignore a potential saving of more than $500.

If anyone has tried some of the off brands with either success or failure I would like to hear your experience.

Thinwater when you say the quality wasn't as good but the tensile strength was accurate. What quality aspects are you referring to? Are they subjective like the feel in one's hands or are there measurable such that they could be reproduced and compared to other ropes.

thank you everyone for your input
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 14:44   #18

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

The 4 big brands have number of product lines that vary in specs.

Most generic brands have one which only compare against the basic polyester products the big 4 offer.

In all cases, the stretch, UV resistance and max loading capabilities are much better from the premium brands. However, they often are 2 times more expensive

But will they last 2 times as long. Well that depends on where you live as that effect UV the line will be subjected to, how much you load them. Most buy thicker lines than necessary because they are easier to handle - so tensile strength and partly stretching isn’t a big problem

But you can’t buy thicker rope if your deck fittings won’t take them. And thicker rope is also dearer

$500 is nothing when need more confidence they won’t break 1000 miles offshore But it is a lot of money if you don’t have anything to eat and cheaper lines would do.

Buy one of each and test them against your usage pattern and see how they go.

For me, all my lines come out of the yacht club bin. I don’t have $500 to save. Hint: Always check the bin near the riggers locker first.
Old 29-07-2021, 14:45   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I was kind of hoping this thread would go in the direction of some good Amazon or Aliexpress deals. Anything unconventional. I've found some deals on Dyneema there. See, the quality was slightly lower, but the strength was as advertised (I tested it).

I've been following to try and learn a few things. I know very little about rope and rope quality. What I was hoping to learn is how to identify quality rope construction from the stuff to be avoided.

Specifically, there are a number of smaller shops which make their own ropes. I'd love to buy from them, and have in the past. They tend to be cheaper, and more local. But are they as good?

Are there easy ways to assess quality?
Old 29-07-2021, 14:52   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I wouldn't go to a big box store. If you have a "commercial" chandler, near you, go there.

Assuming you don't want to buy only 20'. A spool length depends on rope diameter.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 15:47   #21

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I got some rope from these folks:
https://www.valleyrope.com/products.html
I have not done any testing other than what a little casual sailing and 4 months of outdoors here does over a couple years.

I did make the mistake of 'bigger is better' and ended up having to re-order and re-purpose a couple hanks in smaller sizes to appease the halyard sheaves. I did accept a couple 2nd and 3rd color choices to take what they had in stock but for the most part I was able to order what I wanted without delay. I worked off of a small spreadsheet noting use, diameter, and length needed. I did not spec out anything more specific than poly yacht braid and nylon anchor rode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_new_lines.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	242968  
Old 29-07-2021, 17:02   #22

Boat: O’Day 40

Check Practical Sailor, their reviews include ultimate strength, breaking strength, stretch, hand feel, durability & how they work on a winch etc. There’s a big difference between brands and different types of cordage and of course, how you’re going to use it. Most would not use the same type of rope for sheets & halyards or for dock lines either.

A little research here will serve you well.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 17:18   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

OK, for example, how do these ropes stack up against the big names:

https://www.onlineropestore.com/

They claim to manufacture the rope themselves, and seem to say all the right things. They are a small Canadian manufacturer which I would love to support. But how do I judge the quality of their offerings?
Old 29-07-2021, 17:52   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

hmmm...I may be an oddball here, but I've done most of my cordage shopping at the various Salvage stores...Sailorman in Ft.Lauderdale for instance...here I find a variety of name brand cordage...some new...some used...at relatively good prices...as compared to West Marine, for instance. They have a massive selection of pre-cut lengths available, so the "length" is a factor in my selection. I take a marine catalog with me, so I can quickly reference price and other details.

I don't think " stretch" is a factor in my selection at all, once a line is tensioned, be it a halyard or a sheet...the stretch has been pretty much taken out, enough so, that any incremental " stretch" to me is meaningless.

I don't shop brands, but will pick thru' assorted brands, pretty much looking for any " decent" looking cordage, which has always worked fine for me without any problems. Holding the actual rope in my hand, quickly tells me the "feel" of that particular cordage.

Cordage manufacturers are quick to tout their product's various and sundry advantages over another, but to my way of thinking, that is mostly sales talk.

Now were I to sail an American's Cup boat, my cordage selection would likely be more involved, but for your basic sailboat needs, nah, I don't think so. Most modern day synthetic cordage is extremely strong, UV resistant, etc. so the price/ft. weighs heavily on my decision.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 18:04   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvictorlucas View Post
I never thought of using a stretchy sheet as a self adjusting sheet but I need to try that.
He took the dynamic lines off after the first test sail. It was amuisng, but not practical...you could not sheet in tight going to weather or get either jib or main luffs tight.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 18:22   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've been following to try and learn a few things. I know very little about rope and rope quality. What I was hoping to learn is how to identify quality rope construction from the stuff to be avoided.

Specifically, there are a number of smaller shops which make their own ropes. I'd love to buy from them, and have in the past. They tend to be cheaper, and more local. But are they as good?

Other than controlled testing and/or real world use I dont think so.

Ive bought hardware store grade line for non-critical applications when in venues where that was the only option. Some of it worked out pretty well, some not. The primary differences, with no practical means of load testing, was in "hand" and UV resistance.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 18:30   #27

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I dinnae think it's a difficult job.

Let's say you were interested in purchasing some polyester double braid, say in 6 mm diameter or 10 mm diameter for a particular application. You might then choose to consider:

* number of cover braids: 32 or fewer?

* number of core braids: 12 or fewer? (in most polyester double braid, the cover and core share the load)

* lineal mass: 6.5 kg/metre or less (the strength comes from the polyester fibre, not the air in between the fibres)

* breaking load and working load

* coatings (for friction, for abrasion resistance, for UV resistance)
Old 29-07-2021, 18:43   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

We need a rope-Panope.
Old 29-07-2021, 19:10   #29

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
We need a rope-Panope.
Old 29-07-2021, 19:25   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We do have some anecdotal evidence on rope quality for Dyneema used for topping lifts. A number of forum members have reported sudden breaks where the line did not chafe or anything, just broke.

None of those case was Samson Amsteel Blue. I am now replacing my four running backstays which are 3/8” Amsteel Blue that we put on in January 2005, so it was used for 16 years, fully exposed, in the tropics.

So in case of Dyneema, buy the “good stuff”

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope