Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are you willing to pay more for a boat with new sail?
I'm willing to pay more for a boat with a brand new sail 17 31.48%
New sail is nice, but I'm not willing to pay more for a boat with one 14 25.93%
I'm just fine with an old sail as long as it is functional 4 7.41%
I would rather pay less for the boat and deal with the sail myself later 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2021, 05:03   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Importance of sail condition during boat purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
Thanks everyone for participating. I've taken the sail to a local reputable loft for inspection. They noted that the sail cloth itself was in very decent condition and it only needed some minor work - small luff tuck to remove minor stretching, new clew cover and some extra stitching on the webbing. Should take them about a week (they are pretty busy) and cost a fraction of the new sail. It just felt wrong to dispose of sail that was said to be in good condition and only needing minor work.

I also washed it while it was off the mast.
I probably would do the same thing in your situation. Best wishes with your upcoming sale.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 05:21   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I probably would do the same thing in your situation. Best wishes with your upcoming sale.
Absolutely I would too. If the cloth is still in good shape then a little nip & tuck is all it needs.

Once the cloth starts to go...its time for the dumpster.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 06:55   #18

Boat: Sabre 402

We just bought a used boat last month with relatively new sails. They are horrible. Heavy Dacron. The main has full-length battens that catch on the backstay and topping lift, no Cunningham, and maybe too long on the luff. The jib is small (130%) and seems to have a hooked leech. Not what we would have gotten, but they came with the boat. The P.O. had almost a dozen other older sails on the listing that sounded good and attracted our attention. He ended up having to reduce his price because the older ones got "thrown out" and he couldn't produce them.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:04   #19

Quote:
I was looking at Precision Sails and their mid-tier sails. So not the fancy tri-radial cut or the cheapest 300, but in the middle and with a number of upgrades to components and materials.

Well, it looks like most are not willing to pay more for a boat with new sails and old, but useable is just fine by many.
Two quick thoughts. As with any upgrade you have to ask the question what am I buying and is that what the new owner wants? If I am buying a boat with 20 yo lightly used sails I will still replaced them. Another buyer will say great these will last me many years. The difference is simple. ALL buyers perceive things differently and value things differently. Sell the boat as is. State the true condition. Rather than purchase new be prepared to discount the boat to that buyer that it really makes a difference to or wait for another buyer.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:36   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm trying to collect some information how much importance and value is placed on having new sails or in excellent condition vs older, but still usable ones. Obviously everyone wants everything to be in the best possible condition, but most of us are buying used boats and we have to make compromises.
The response is All of the Above.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:58   #21

Sails are very expensive now. If I was comparing two identical boats, I would opt for the one with new sails at maybe half the cost of a new sail more. Of course it would matter how good a sail it is too... I wouldn't pay more for a boat with new but marginal quality sails....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:50   #22

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Sails are just a fraction of the overall condition. Since I like both having spares as well as having new sails to spec I would not hesitate on a vessel with older sails that otherwise was in tip top shape.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 17:52   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

It certainly can be a factor, however,

Roxy was a train wreck when we found her in Ft Lauderdale. Damaged by Irma. No pulpits or stancions, rub rails and toe rails shattered, dinghy and OB destroyed, no Genoa or staysail. Outside had serious road rash. Crushed stem and large port side crush. Instruments non functional. The sail was the least of it. We didn’t buy a replacement for three years while other work was first. If everything else is tops then bad sails stick out.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:39   #24

Sails are like any other gear you add. Resale value is a fraction of new cost. So.no, do not buy new sails to sell a boat. But on the flipside...the best value is buying a used boat with new sails and gear.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 04:41   #25

Boat: Pearson P-35

I just bought a used boat (a 1977 Pearson P-35) and the sails were in pretty bad shape.
I had them repaired for the time being, but they will need replacement within the next few seasons.
Anyone recently order from National Sail Supply INC / Rolly Tasker Sails?
This thread is a few years old, but seemed to be generally favorable.
ramron67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 04:52   #26

I'd rather lower the sale price and buy my own sails. Add to that, buy my own other stuff too, like running rigging.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:38   #27

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramron67 View Post
I just bought a used boat (a 1977 Pearson P-35) and the sails were in pretty bad shape.
I had them repaired for the time being, but they will need replacement within the next few seasons.

The short answer is yes, 3 years ago, and yes I am very happy with my heavy duty cruising sails from National Sail Supply INC / Rolly Tasker Sails.

The long answer:
I bought a 140% Genoa and 3 reef Main Dacron heavy duty cruising sails 3 seasons ago from NSS/ Rolly Tasker the 2 sails were the same price as the cheapest quote for a single Main or Genoa from Doyle, North, Quantum, or UK.
They were delivered to my door as promised, I stretched them out on top of the quantum sails they were replacing, they were identical in construction.
My vessel is a Jeanneau 44i the main luff measurement is 53 ft so on the larger side of the spectrum. I replaced the slides with a heavy duty slide post purchase, that was on me though. I would suggest you request the more robust option on these components.
The slugs/slides are what you want to fail first and they did on my fully battened 3 reef main when we were hit by 61 knot straight line wind gust that put my mast 10 ft from the water.
We broke a couple of slugs but not as much as a thread out of place upon after event inspection from the sails, they held up well. I was also able to get my vessels record of 9.7 knots this past summer so it appears the quality and longevity have been holding up.
I should not that I reef early, and sail regularly in wind over 20 knots.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:48   #28

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

New sails are like an engine transplant for your sailboat!!! We had servicable sails for the first few years of our morgan OI and she really lived up to the reputation of being slow, tacking poorly etc. The sails were servicable but were strectching out significantly. Last spring we got a complete new set of sails (Yes it was very expensive, $12k CAD) but the performance was night and day. The boat actually has some get-up-and-go now. We were able to keep up with a Catalina 400 during one sail and actually caught and PASSED a Tartan 40 on a club cruise.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 05:49   #29

If you put $20K into new sails on a boat valued at $20K, you don't end up with a boat worth $40K. Likewise, if you're looking at a $20K boat that needs $20K worth of sails, you're not going to talk the seller into giving you a free boat.

You might be able to talk up or down the sell price of a boat based on sail condition, however sail condition will more than likely only serve to sell the boat faster, not for more or less money.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:10   #30

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramron67 View Post
YouTubers “Sailing Yacht Florence” replaced their sails with Rolly Tasker in 2020 when they were in Thailand. It seems to be a sponsorship, but seeing their experience over 2-3 episodes around April 2020 might be worth a watch.
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, import, purchase, sail