Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 08:26   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
I have to move the mast again. But now it’s 64ft.

So, I have the opportunity to get my rig/sail control table done by really really good people.

That’s in another thread. I am definitely going forward with them.

The problem is my mast is in St. Petersburg Florida right now and I need to move it to North Carolina approximately where the old Gunboat facility used to be.

Yes, that’s how good the people are. Same people.

As far as I can tell I have three options for moving the mast. None of them good. None of them easy. Maybe there are other options I’m not thinking of.

My list so far:

1) build cradles and put it on the boat for a trip up the ICW. Problem with this is I don’t have anywhere to build the cradles or any vehicle to get materials with. I’m in Saint Pete at anchor. My mast is in St Pete as well.

2) Hire a trucking company to move it. This is ideal. This is what I’m trying to do. But, it’s up on uship and not a single inquiry or bid. Complete silence.

3) do a little bit better job attaching it to my pick up truck and drive it up myself/fly/etc.. That’s how I got it to my marina in the first place. This was incredibly difficult. The driving was really tricky. And you needed a good route. If anything got too small or narrow I would have got stuck. I don’t even think I could get it in and out of a hotel parking lot for the overnight stops.
It was 59 feet then. Now it’s 64 feet. Even harder.

What else? What am I missing?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 08:41   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: I have to move the mast again. But now it’s 64ft.

Does the place where the mast is currently have the ability to lift it and load it onto the boat? If so, I'd see if you can leave the boat there for a couple of hours and figure out a way to get to a store to pick up some 2x4s and screws. Get back to the boat, screw together some mast supports and have them lift the mast onboard, then strap it down and head north.

Unless you find a company that can truck it inexpensively and at the right timing, taking it with you on the boat seems like the easiest solution. Certainly more practical than making multiple trips to drive it up there yourself and then bringing the boat up after.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 08:53   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

What about soft supports on the boat old mattresses foam blocks and some lashings.
There was another thread on a similar theme.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1509236758
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:07   #4

The reason nobody wants the trucking job you are offering is that at 64 feet long it is an oversized load requiring permits. This is very expensive. Uship is not a place where truckers go looking to pick up premium priced projects.

If you are working with a rigger, they should be able to recommend a trucking company who can move loads like this, I mean they do it all the time, right?

And for gawd's sake, do NOT consider moving this on a pickup truck yourself! Aside from the safety issues (which SHOULD be obvious!) , the first time a state trooper drives by he's going to stop you, take out his tape measure and issue you a large fine, and order you off the road. In some parts of the south if it's the local sheriff they might just arrest you for good measure. The you would REALLY be stuck somewhere in rural Georgia with a 64 foot long stick and no way to get it anywhere. A good story for a reality tv show, but not the way you want your life to go

If you are going to do it yourself, move it on the boat. Do what ever you can to get a couple 2x4s and build a cradle. Lots of lumber yards will deliver, so I can not understand why it should be hard to get lumber for this even without local transport. This is by far and away the easiest, simplest, cheapest, and safest alternative. You have to drive the boat there anyway, why would you do anything else?
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
The reason nobody wants the trucking job you are offering is that at 64 feet long it is an oversized load requiring permits. This is very expensive. Uship is not a place where truckers go looking to pick up premium priced projects.

If you are working with a rigger, they should be able to recommend a trucking company who can move loads like this, I mean they do it all the time, right?

And for gawd's sake, do NOT consider moving this on a pickup truck yourself! Aside from the safety issues (which SHOULD be obvious!) , the first time a state trooper drives by he's going to stop you, take out his tape measure and issue you a large fine, and order you off the road. In some parts of the south if it's the local sheriff they might just arrest you for good measure. The you would REALLY be stuck somewhere in rural Georgia with a 64 foot long stick and no way to get it anywhere. A good story for a reality tv show, but not the way you want your life to go

If you are going to do it yourself, move it on the boat. Do what ever you can to get a couple 2x4s and build a cradle. Lots of lumber yards will deliver, so I can not understand why it should be hard to get lumber for this even without local transport. This is by far and away the easiest, simplest, cheapest, and safest alternative. You have to drive the boat there anyway, why would you do anything else?

What????

I ALREADY moved it with my pickup truck when I bought it. What the heck are you talking about with the driving stuff?

It cost me $4.50 or something to get the permit last time I moved it 100 miles with my truck.

I went by MANY local and state cops last time. I was legal so didn’t get stopped

Although I do appreciate the rest of your post, I’ve already done what you consider impossible . Thank you.

My st Pete rigger? No. They don’t think I can bring it on deck because I’ll have to “go off the coast because my boat is so wide” . They don’t have any contacts for trucking masts and couldn’t get my metal work together in what is now 6 weeks I’ve been anchored here waiting. So just no. That’s why I’m going elsewhere.

My new rigger is ready to build the cradle Monday/Tuesday when he arrives for an inspection. I just don’t have materials or a place to do this. I’m out at anchor. My mast is at the old rigger.

Anyone in St Pete have any ideas on where i could do this? What marina? Here is the materials list:

@6 sheets of 3/4 ply, 20 pt 2x6, stainless screws, 10 long 2 inch ratchet straps and some scrap closed cell foam for padding decks and mast and we can probably make it work fine. It will take a solid day to make.”

I need to get these materials and a place to build them by Monday if so. We can build them, but I just don’t have a spot to do it.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:20   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
So, I have the opportunity to get my rig/sail control table done by really really good people.

That’s in another thread. I am definitely going forward with them.

The problem is my mast is in St. Petersburg Florida right now and I need to move it to North Carolina approximately where the old Gunboat facility used to be.

Yes, that’s how good the people are. Same people.

As far as I can tell I have three options for moving the mast. None of them good. None of them easy. Maybe there are other options I’m not thinking of.

My list so far:

1) build cradles and put it on the boat for a trip up the ICW. Problem with this is I don’t have anywhere to build the cradles or any vehicle to get materials with. I’m in Saint Pete at anchor. My mast is in St Pete as well.

2) Hire a trucking company to move it. This is ideal. This is what I’m trying to do. But, it’s up on uship and not a single inquiry or bid. Complete silence.

3) do a little bit better job attaching it to my pick up truck and drive it up myself/fly/etc.. That’s how I got it to my marina in the first place. This was incredibly difficult. The driving was really tricky. And you needed a good route. If anything got too small or narrow I would have got stuck. I don’t even think I could get it in and out of a hotel parking lot for the overnight stops.
It was 59 feet then. Now it’s 64 feet. Even harder.

What else? What am I missing?

Option 1. I would think any decent carpentry contractor could fix you up in a jiffy for not too much. Get a recommendation for a small guy that builds decks. If you can't build the cradles, pay someone to do it. You'll need help placing it anyway.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:22   #7

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
What about soft supports on the boat old mattresses foam blocks and some lashings.

=======================================

what a neat idea.!!!

may need? some support on the forward end, like a cradle?

sort of like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-in-...ity-58819.html

I would measure the length of the 2x4" needed, have Lowes or Home Depot? or like stores, cut to size at no charge or minimal, then drill the holes to accommodate galvanized bolts 1/2" 3/4" diameter.

Sort of like pre-assembled.

Easy? to reassemble on deck.

the length of pieces will be easy to carry on your vehicle.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Does the place where the mast is currently have the ability to lift it and load it onto the boat? If so, I'd see if you can leave the boat there for a couple of hours and figure out a way to get to a store to pick up some 2x4s and screws. Get back to the boat, screw together some mast supports and have them lift the mast onboard, then strap it down and head north.

Unless you find a company that can truck it inexpensively and at the right timing, taking it with you on the boat seems like the easiest solution. Certainly more practical than making multiple trips to drive it up there yourself and then bringing the boat up after.
Yes. They have a crane at the boatyard. Seems like it would be kind of easy to put it on the boat. If I was somewhere. It’s at least a full day project just to build the cradles though. At least. With 2 of us. And my new rigger would need a bunch of insurance to do anything at the yard my mast is at.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post

Yes. That’s the cradle method. I’ve done this on the Erie Canal with a monohull and it’s my go to method for doing anything inland with this boat in the future.

But… I just don’t have anywhere to put all of this together.

That’s the main issue. I have 2 days to have it all set up if getting help.

But maybe a local carpentry person could help. But still nowhere to dock to do it. Marinas are too small.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:34   #10

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I moved a 52' mast by strapping it to the roof of my Volkswagen van.
Did it at 6:00AM on a Sunday morning.
But I only had to go less than 2 miles.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:35   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Yes. They have a crane at the boatyard. Seems like it would be kind of easy to put it on the boat. If I was somewhere. It’s at least a full day project just to build the cradles though. At least. With 2 of us. And my new rigger would need a bunch of insurance to do anything at the yard my mast is at.

Cradles shouldn't take all that long. I've seen some slapped together by a person with a drill in a couple of hours. They only have work once, so they don't necessarily need to be pretty or a perfect design. A simple X shape to cradle the mast with some feet attached to it to sit on the deck and a little fore/aft bracing will do the trick along with appropriate strapping to prevent things from moving.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
=======================================

what a neat idea.!!!

may need? some support on the forward end, like a cradle?

sort of like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-in-...ity-58819.html

I would measure the length of the 2x4" needed, have Lowes or Home Depot? or like stores, cut to size at no charge or minimal, then drill the holes to accommodate galvanized bolts 1/2" 3/4" diameter.

Sort of like pre-assembled.

Easy? to reassemble on deck.

the length of pieces will be easy to carry on your vehicle.

What vehicle?

I’m here by boat.

Also, you need to build custom cradles to do this. The seagull striker could help. Generally I don’t see how these logistics can work out.

I’m 200 miles away from my previous base. Anchored. No marinas can take my beam as far as I’ve found.

No idea how i could ever get this ready by Monday.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I moved a 52' mast by strapping it to the roof of my Volkswagen van.
Did it at 6:00AM on a Sunday morning.
But I only had to go less than 2 miles.
Now THAT is impressive!

Especially with the van roof holding the weight.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Cradles shouldn't take all that long. I've seen some slapped together by a person with a drill in a couple of hours. They only have work once, so they don't necessarily need to be pretty or a perfect design. A simple X shape to cradle the mast with some feet attached to it to sit on the deck and a little fore/aft bracing will do the trick along with appropriate strapping to prevent things from moving.
Yeah, but it’s a 1000 mile trip with a lot of 80ft sport fishers thinking they’re doing you a favor in semi displacement mode.

It’ll be getting jostled.

I wonder if I could lay it down on the deck however. Like on the side deck.
Old 27-01-2023, 09:44   #15

Quote:
What????

I ALREADY moved it with my pickup truck when I bought it. What the heck are you talking about with the driving stuff?

It cost me $4.50 or something to get the permit last time I moved it 100 miles with my truck.

I went by MANY local and state cops last time. I was legal so didn’t get stopped

Although I do appreciate the rest of your post, I’ve already done what you consider impossible . Thank you.
Except...

Your mast is now longer tan it was.... 64 feet is NOT the same as 55 feet. Different rules--different permits. I assume you know you need a separate permit for each state? And some states will require a chase car for overlength loads? (I dont know about GA, SC, and NC, specifically)

But if you are sure you know the rules in each state, then have at it!
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast