Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 09:50   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: I have to move the mast again. But now it’s 64ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yeah, but it’s a 1000 mile trip with a lot of 80ft sport fishers thinking they’re doing you a favor in semi displacement mode.

It’ll be getting jostled.

I wonder if I could lay it down on the deck however. Like on the side deck.

You could probably build cradles that keep it pretty low to the deck (more like chocks than cradles). The mast only needs to be up high enough to fit over anything that's in the way. And then you'd want to find things to strap it (and the supports) down to so it can't move.

Thinking about it, if you have a toe rail, you could make a support that fits between the toe rail and the side of the cabin. That will help with keeping it all from moving around.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 09:54   #17

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Chotu-

What are the implications if you do not do this at all?

If you are going to put it on the boat using a cradle just hire a carpenter to do it. They can and will pruchase and pring the materials. No vehicle required of you.

Putting this on a personal vehicle is ludicrous. I dont care if you did it once before.
Old 27-01-2023, 10:08   #18

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
What vehicle?

I’m here by boat.

Also, you need to build custom cradles to do this. The seagull striker could help. Generally I don’t see how these logistics can work out.

I’m 200 miles away from my previous base. Anchored. No marinas can take my beam as far as I’ve found.

No idea how i could ever get this ready by Monday.
======================

sorry, misread

thought you have your truck with you.

My local Lowes store is now renting pickup trucks for the few hours needed.

Guessing the longest beam will be 6 ft long?

the only preassemble work will be drilling the holes, done that on their parking lot with a cordless drill.

even if have to buy a tool added to the cost of the rental,cheaper than other alternatives.

And then is the local handyman, no need for an expensive carpenter, any handyman will do.

boats projects always a challenge, personally sick and tired of challenges!!

Bingo hall and progressive retirement homes looking better and better.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 10:21   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 36

For what it's worth, I moved my 62' mast from Buffalo to Ct. with a trailer like this made from a broken mast etc. see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_115836.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	270636  
Old 27-01-2023, 11:59   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN CURRIER View Post
For what it's worth, I moved my 62' mast from Buffalo to Ct. with a trailer like this made from a broken mast etc. see pic.
A New Englander. We have a “can do” attitude.

I just put a trailer about 2/3 of the way back on my mast and it worked fine.

I may drive it again myself just BECAUSE of these “can’t do” scaredy cat types. Lol.

But I’m actually just trying to find the easiest way.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2023, 12:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
======================

sorry, misread

thought you have your truck with you.

My local Lowes store is now renting pickup trucks for the few hours needed.

Guessing the longest beam will be 6 ft long?

the only preassemble work will be drilling the holes, done that on their parking lot with a cordless drill.

even if have to buy a tool added to the cost of the rental,cheaper than other alternatives.

And then is the local handyman, no need for an expensive carpenter, any handyman will do.

boats projects always a challenge, personally sick and tired of challenges!!

Bingo hall and progressive retirement homes looking better and better.
I do have all the tools it takes to build an entire boat except my huge ingersoll rams air compressor and air tools aboard weighing this thing down. There is no shortage of tools here.

I just don’t have a spot to do this.
Old 27-01-2023, 12:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Chotu-

What are the implications if you do not do this at all?

If you are going to put it on the boat using a cradle just hire a carpenter to do it. They can and will pruchase and pring the materials. No vehicle required of you.

Putting this on a personal vehicle is ludicrous. I dont care if you did it once before.
Could be. But where can I do this? I don’t have anywhere to do it. I’m too big for the marinas here. I’m at anchor.

They won’t even let you tighten a screw on your boat at the stupid boat yard that my Mast is at.

The implications of not doing it at all? I don’t know. I would lose my Mast I guess. I wouldn’t have it anymore. There would be nothing for the Rigger to put on in North Carolina. What do you mean what are the implications of not doing it?

Your last couple sentences however, only make me want to do it by truck more. Ha ha.
Old 27-01-2023, 12:08   #23

Quote:
I do have all the tools it takes to build an entire boat except my huge ingersoll rams air compressor and air tools aboard weighing this thing down. There is no shortage of tools here.

I just don’t have a spot to do this.

Home Depot will cut 2x4s and such to length for you. So if you can get to one and figure out what size pieces you'd need to assemble supports you could get a bunch of pre-cut pieces of wood (easier to transport) and not have to do much cutting once you get them back to the boat. Then it should just be a matter of screwing them together with a drill.
Old 27-01-2023, 12:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
You could probably build cradles that keep it pretty low to the deck (more like chocks than cradles). The mast only needs to be up high enough to fit over anything that's in the way. And then you'd want to find things to strap it (and the supports) down to so it can't move.

Thinking about it, if you have a toe rail, you could make a support that fits between the toe rail and the side of the cabin. That will help with keeping it all from moving around.
Yeah. I feel like this is the best way to move it on the boat. It’s kind of ridiculous to make giant contraptions like you would on a monohull. I have a side deck.

There is no toe rail. There is no hull-deck joint.

But there is a dagger board. That’s pretty nice for helping keep it in place.

However the boat changes going fore and aft. So the thing would be out over the water by the bow I think. It would need to be tied pretty well.

If I do this, if I can’t find a way to move it by land, this would probably be the best way to do it.

In fact, you wouldn’t even need cradles. Just some pieces of foam below the mast. And then tying it off. Also tying it to the dagger board.
Old 27-01-2023, 12:15   #25

Quote:
Yeah. I feel like this is the best way to move it on the boat. It’s kind of ridiculous to make giant contraptions like you would on a monohull. I have a side deck.

There is no toe rail. There is no hull-deck joint.

But there is a dagger board. That’s pretty nice for helping keep it in place.

However the boat changes going fore and aft. So the thing would be out over the water by the bow I think. It would need to be tied pretty well.

If I do this, if I can’t find a way to move it by land, this would probably be the best way to do it.

In fact, you wouldn’t even need cradles. Just some pieces of foam below the mast. And then tying it off. Also tying it to the dagger board.

If the deck shape and required carriage height is suitable, then yup, foam blocks would work just fine. Even if it takes some effort to get the thing on board and adequately secured, it's still likely to be easier than making an extra trip to drive it there yourself (assuming a shipper that wants to deal with it doesn't become available in time).
Old 27-01-2023, 12:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If the deck shape and required carriage height is suitable, then yup, foam blocks would work just fine. Even if it takes some effort to get the thing on board and adequately secured, it's still likely to be easier than making an extra trip to drive it there yourself (assuming a shipper that wants to deal with it doesn't become available in time).
I don’t know that there is a height requirement at all actually.

Carrying it at the waterline would be just as well. Assuming it wasn’t corrosive and bad for the mast and whatever. But geometrically there is no reason to have it at any specific height.

As an extreme case, towing it in the water behind the boat would be suitable also. Height just isn’t a factor, i don’t think.

So just laying it on the side deck with 6” of foam should do it.
Old 27-01-2023, 12:44   #27

If I do put it on deck I will only be able to tie up on one side really. For lots of reasons. The side that does not have the mast.

And my boat goes all over the place in the locks on the Okeechobee waterway for some reason. I haven’t figured it out yet. But I can’t control it at all in these locks. Doesn’t matter what I do. Boards down. Boards up. It just goes sideways all the time.

I think I might break the mast in those locks. That could be an issue.
Old 27-01-2023, 12:48   #28

Quote:
I don’t know that there is a height requirement at all actually.

Carrying it at the waterline would be just as well. Assuming it wasn’t corrosive and bad for the mast and whatever. But geometrically there is no reason to have it at any specific height.

As an extreme case, towing it in the water behind the boat would be suitable also. Height just isn’t a factor, i don’t think.

So just laying it on the side deck with 6” of foam should do it.

In my mind, height is constrained by whatever lets you tie it down effectively or whether you need it elevated a bit to give access to anything like deck hardware.

Length-wise, I'd try to position it so you have both front and rear overhang, that way the overhangs are shorter and should be easier to manage. For locks, as long as you can avoid getting twisted around too much you should be alright. Worst case, find someone to ride along for that portion so you can have someone handling lines while you stay at the helm in case any maneuvering is needed.
Old 27-01-2023, 13:40   #29

That’s exactly what happens. My boat twists and turns and goes sideways in those locks no matter what I do. I can’t even explain why it happens. When they are changing the water level my boat starts twisting around.

I’m pretty sure I would break the mast in there.

That’s my one big concern with it.

It makes no sense to me but I am always completely out of control in this one lock. The other ones seem to do fine. But there’s one near the Fort Myers side. The last one. It twists my boat all over the place.
Old 27-01-2023, 14:43   #30

The easiest thing is to call a boat transport outfit. They haul oversized loads all the time from FL north to the Carolinas......powerboats and sail boats with long masts. They could pick the mast up at the yard and have it delivered long before you ever make it up there. Piggy back on another load.

If you want to put it on deck, go down to the local Publix store and get yourself a dozen or more 4” diameter swimming pool noodles. Feed 3/8 line thru the noodle and wrap them around the mast, then tie them to the mast. Ready made cushions along the whole length of deck contact....

Any time I have ever been thru a lock I have been tied to the side wall to avoid the turbulence from the incoming water. Feed line out or take line in as the water rises or falls. No out of control boat!
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast