Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2020, 17:42   #1

HOOD Roller Furler 900SL

It's time to change the pull line that rotates the hub of my Hood Roller Furler SL 900. I'm supposed to unscrew a couple a screws on the fitting that fits under the furler and then that piece drops down so I can get at the line and hole it fits thorough so I can install at the new line.
I take out the screws but the stainless steel fitting that goes over the central hub won't drop down. I'm guessing it's got a ton of salt crystals in there that's not allowing it to slide down.
Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the freed up? I've tried tons of water to desolve them--no luck. I've put in a lubricant(PB blaster and WD 40) with no luck.
I need some help before the line brakes and i'm up the preverbial creek with no paddle and flogging sails.
CapinBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 23:10   #2

Boat: CT-47
Re: HOOD Roller Furler 900SL

As far as I recall the central hub is aluminum... the fitting / drum stainless... i only got it off with a heat torch, hammer
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:43   #3

Re: HOOD Roller Furler 900SL

I have not tried the hammer and heat. I did try hot water and a lot of muscle which may have worked. Pulled out the jib a short way then back in and did this several times. Still cannot get the "collar" to drop to get access to the knot. Still looking for any one's solutions.
CapinBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, hood, roller furler