Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 21:22   #1

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21
fuel filler nozzle too large diameter

Hello everyone.

I went to refuel the other day and found the fuel dock had changed the size of their diesel nozzles, and they no longer work in my boat. My boat has a 1 1/2" filler pipe. The nozzle is a little smaller than that, but the bead chain that secures the cap keeps the nozzle from fitting in.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What did you do to fix the problem? It seems my filler pipe design is pretty standard.

Thanks
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:42   #2

Re: fuel filler nozzle too large diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRhodes13 View Post
Hello everyone.

I went to refuel the other day and found the fuel dock had changed the size of their diesel nozzles, and they no longer work in my boat. My boat has a 1 1/2" filler pipe. The nozzle is a little smaller than that, but the bead chain that secures the cap keeps the nozzle from fitting in.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? What did you do to fix the problem? It seems my filler pipe design is pretty standard.

Thanks
It’s common

Many fuel docks that serve motorboats with big tanks use large diameter hoses and high flow rate pump pistols

Your fuel dock must solve the hose, pistol issue or else you must do it the hard way with a funnel
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:10   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
It’s common

Many fuel docks that serve motorboats with big tanks use large diameter hoses and high flow rate pump pistols

Your fuel dock must solve the hose, pistol issue or else you must do it the hard way with a funnel
Or just remove the chain. Sure they keep you from losing the cap but they are a PITA. Your waste pump out can't have a retaining chain, have you ever lost that cap?
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:23   #4

Usually easier to just find a new fuel dock. Even using a funnel is difficult as you have to just barely crack the valve open or you risk overflowing the funnel in seconds.

If they are filling offshore fly bridge battle wagons that take on 500gal, they don't want a pump that puts out 5 gal per min.

Fact is a 500gal sale is worth more than 20 - 20gal sales and those battle wagons will likely fill up 5 times as often and the charter guests will buy a bunch of high profit snacks and stuff from the gas dock store.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:32   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Or maybe you got a new guy who doesn't know about the interchangeable nozzles they have? Every fuel dock here uses 2" or larger hose for those "battlewagons" and the commercial fishermen, but the nozzles are attached with Banjo/camlock connections and they have little 1" nozzles around for the smaller boats. Most of the fuel jockeys around here make a guess as you are pulling up to the dock and swap the nozzle before you even tie up.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33   #6

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We experienced this in Beaufort SC, at the municipal fuel dock, the hose spout would not fit in our Jerry can openings because it had a raised/wider lip ring around the spout end. I didn’t have need to try, but I suspect it would not fit into my main fuel tank fuel fill either. I purchased a large funnel for the future just in case situations. I store my regular use filter funnel in it...

At the Jekyll Island marina fuel dock the gentleman at the fuel dock dialed back the fuel pump pressure so we could easily fill our Jerry cans and top off our main tank, no issue there with their spout fitting our cans or main tank fuel fill openings.

I suspect a list of marina fuel docks with oversized fuel fill spouts is now a need going forward, so they can be planned for and by passed. There will continue to be places that will still want the money that smaller vessels and sail boats spend on fuel... Bob 423s ICW guide may very well have another piece of pertinent information for those running the ditch / slash coming in to refuel.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:58   #7

Thanks everyone for you replies. Sounds like I'm hosed, but not the first one to have this problem.

I don't like the funnel idea for the reasons mentioned above. I'm going to try replacing the bead chain with a cable of smaller diameter. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can find a short length of metal tubing with a reducing taper in it. A muffler shop might have something like that.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:20   #8

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I use a nozzle off a 5 gallon gas can that fits perfectly for this problem. You could buy a transmission oil funnel and cut to size. For about $10 you can buy an nozzle adapter for a VW TDI that would also work fine.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:47   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Because of the proliferation of sport fisherman vessels in Puerto Rico, we found this to be commonplace. We cut a one gallon plastic vinegar jug in half and used that as a funnel. I always carry gallon bottles of vinegar for routine de-liming of the toilet outflow line on our saltwater flush toilet, when not in U.S. waters. They usually have a wider mouth than the smaller sizes and have a handle to make it easier to hold while juggling the diesel nozzle and the funnel. A short (<6") length of clear plastic hose that fits over the end and still fits in your filler opening will allow the air to escape during filling, so that the diesel doesn't "burp" up back onto the deck. Putting it in a plastic bag between uses keeps it clean and diesel odors to a minimum. It also removed another single use plastic item from the over-burdened island trash systems.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:01   #10
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

We solved this several years ago with the suggestion of a dock hand along the ICW, Take an everyday plastic soft drink bottle and cut it in half to use the neck as a funnel. The plastic is soft enough that it fits tightly around the fuel pipe. The fuel goes directly from the hose into the fill pipe; you are not filling a funnel and letting it drain. If it does back up its contained in the bottle.
Never tried it with the retainer chain in place but it might still work
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:09   #11

Lots of good suggestions, but I'm a little worried about using plastic funnels or bottles. Would static electricity be a problem?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:17   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

I have encountered the problem at fuel docks in coastal ports which serve commercial fishing vessels. Some of the docks have an adapter which fits on their nozzle (you might ask the operator). In other cases, I carry a "Baja filter" which is essentially a large filtered funnel which allows me to fill in that way.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:11   #13

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
I have encountered the problem at fuel docks in coastal ports which serve commercial fishing vessels. Some of the docks have an adapter which fits on their nozzle (you might ask the operator). In other cases, I carry a "Baja filter" which is essentially a large filtered funnel which allows me to fill in that way.
Three cheers for Baja filters! I bought mine at Downwind Marine in San Diego in 1991, have used it EVERY time I've fueled up since (including three years in Central America) and NEVER had a fuel water or dirt problem since (the finest of the three screens in the filter catches water), plus it solves the big nozzle, small fill pipe problem. It's a little slow filling but as I rarely take more than 100 litres (25 gallons) it's rarely been a problem. I take the screens out every once in a while and blow back through them (individually) with an air hose to clean out any accumulated crap, and put them back none the worse for wear. One of the best investments (along with the autopilot) I ever made!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 16:05   #14

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

I use a clean way fuel fill and it has adjustable fuel fill nozzle inserts. Prevents fuel spills in the water too. Works great.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I find another fuel dock, the ones that advertise high flow don’t really want sailboats anyway.
The ones that do will have interchangeable nozzles and often a ball valve right at the pump so they can turn the flow down, then the Big Sportfisherman pulls up, put big nozzle on and open the ball valve. Those that don’t do that simple mod, I feel don’t want us.

On edit, I have seen the cleanway advertised, but never used one, it might work for this, but seems centered on preventing spills. But I know I’m full when it begins to spit from the vent.
https://www.iboats.com/shop/clean-wa...EaAqP8EALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel