Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2024, 03:37   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Dyneema Control Lines

I am replacing a bunch of control lines on my boat this year, to wit:

1. Jib sheet angle control lines (twings).

2. Genoa track control lines.

3. Traveler control lines.

These are the last non-dyneema ropes on my deck. The twings are 10mm polyester double braid, the others are 8mm.

For sure the new ones will be dyneema, but should they be double braid all the way to the end?

My mainsail outhaul -- which carries quite large loads -- is made of 12mm racing dyneema double braid spliced core-to-core to a piece of I think 8mm single braid dyneema. I am pleased with this, as the bare single braid is slippery and runs better through blocks, is lighter, less wind resistance, cheaper.

Based on this experience, last year I replaced my vang with a piece of 12mm racing dyneema double braid. Instead of splicing it to single braid, I simply stripped back the cover. Again, very pleased with the results -- runs better over blocks, is lighter.

Now the control lines -- should I take the same approach? If I use 6mm single braid for the twings, and 4mm for the other control lines, spliced onto 10mm/8mm double braid, this will be lighter, cheaper, more compact, and run better around blocks, than just using full lengths of double braid.

Are there any drawbacks? Should I worry about UV, for example? Anyone else doing this?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema