Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 17:32   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Bolt cutters

I guess we all hope that we never have to use 'em, but we all pretty much gotta have 'em! I actually don't currently own a set of bolt cutters :blush: I borrowed some for my delivery.

I plan on getting a set which will stay on board. Any tips on brands? sizes? best way to store? (I plan on vac-sealing in plastic?), etc.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 18:46   #2

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
bolt cutters are not rigging cutters

If you need bolt cutters to cut steel bolts and chain fine. If you are looking for something to cut rigging you need rigging cutters (and big 0nes). Rigging cutters have a semicircular hole in one jaw so the rigging wire fits into the hole and the wire is sheared and not cut as with bolt cutters.
i have a pair about 2 1/2 -3 feet long and store them in a locker handles down cutters up. i spray the cutters with oil and put a zip lock bag over them and tape the bag closed around the cutter head. from west marine
fair winds,
eric
Old 07-08-2006, 19:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I actually had to do this in the heat of battle about a year ago. On brandnew 5mm stainless strand wire (from Rolly Tasker), a set of ordinary medium-sized bolt cutters worked quite well. That was on a 28ft sloop.

Presumably at some point the diameter would require dedicated rigging cutters.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 19:48   #4
Kai Nui

Rigging cutters vs bolt cutter is more a matter of the quality of the tool and quality of the cut than anything alse. I carry an assortment of both. The cheapo bolt cutters will work in an emergency. The rigging cutters make a much cleaner cut which is beneficial to installing new wire. The size of the cutters is the big issue. You can not have too much leverage in an emergency. I spray mine down with Fluid Film every so often to keep them from rusting.
Old 07-08-2006, 21:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Harbor Tool and Freight www.harborfreight.com

They have both bolt and cable cutters (rigging cutters if you prefer). Fairly inexpensive.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote