Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 10:51   #16

Boat: Endurance 35,
Re: Bobstay material: ss 1x19 or Galvy chain?

I changed from wire to a solid rod 23 years ago after the lower swagging cracked - it spends a lot of time in the water when sailing and am still very pleased with it.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:51   #17

Hi Test 3/8 in. chain is less than 1/2 the strength of 3/8 in. wire.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 11:00   #18

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

And I have a solid 1/2" s.s. rod with welded clevis eyes at each end ... No problem, as long as I don't bend it on a dock somewhere.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 14:37   #19

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

SS below waterline has corrosion issues which are not always obvious with wire which is more prone to crevice corrosion. Chain is very easy to spot corrosion. Silicon bronze rod is more corrosion resistant below water, but needs to be bigger in section than steel. Dynema is also an option but needs to be chafe protected.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 18:25   #20

Here's an opinion based on twenty years of full-time cruising from California to Sri Lanka: go with chain. Use the same size as you anchor chain and you always have the material to make a new one in the out-of-the-way location. It is the lower couple of links that go bad first, and they can be cut off and the turnbuckle adjusted a couple of times before you have to replace the chain. You can tell by looking at chain when it needs replacement, this is NOT true of wire which can fail without warning. If you must walk out on the bob stay to make a small repair or free a jammed line, chain is MUCH easier on your feet than wire. It is quite easy to pull a length of (clear) plastic hose over the bob stay to prevent chafe and the grinding of the anchor chain at anchor. But you will lose a tiny bit of performance due to the increased weight. Good luck and fair winds
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 18:56   #21

Boat: Tayana 37

Wow, thank you all!

Whole bunch of issues I hadn't remotely considered, and options I didn't know existed!

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 20:50   #22

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

One thing with galvanized chain. The lower links tend to rust quicker due to being attached to a bronze or stainless steel fitting. Handy to have enough length to cut a link off every so often , plus end for end it occasionally.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-02-2016, 21:01   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 31

My bobstay is 1/2" SS rod with a turnbuckle at each end. Been fine for 31 seasons, so far. I'd replace it with the same thing in a heartbeat. It's a piece of NavTec rod as a matter of fact.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 13:18   #24

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

I hope to revive this thread rather than start a new one.

Tailwheel, what did you finally decide and are you happy with your choice?

I am considering changing from chain to rod and wanted to see if any opinions have changed in the 3 years since this thread.

What say you all?

Jim
Old 04-06-2019, 14:59   #25

Boat: Tayana 37

Hey Jim,
In the end, I went with SS 1x19 wire.

I’m happy I did because, even with the relatively smooth 1x19, my mooring pendants still Experience chafe.

I dread to think what it would be like if I’d gone with galvanized chain....!

Matt
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 15:20   #26

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Mana’s is 3/4” bronze.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:30   #27

Matt, thanks for the reply.
Did you use mechanical fittings our swagged?

fatherchronica, Have you had any trouble or worries with bending the Bobstay? And, do you have turn buckles on one end or both?

Thanks
Jim
Old 05-06-2019, 07:37   #28

I am going to Mana tomorrow and will post a photo afterward. It is really strong in my opinion. Four years ago my son and I were a hundred miles West of Neah Bay at 9 pm idly floating in circles with all sail up awaiting a supposed breath of wind predicted for after midnight. We decided to take naps fully dressed and fell asleep. At midnight the predicted 10 kt wind arrived as 55 kts and 25 foot breaking seas. It took me, mid 60's, 3 hours to get all sail down. An hour and a half of it dragging down the jib, spending 20 seconds out of every minute just holding my breath and my bowsprit under water while my son motored into the waves. Next day we were sailing South and making Mana's best day ever of 172 miles followed by 152 miles. On that second day my son was on the bowsprit watching some porpoises under the bow when he noticed the bobstay tang was yanked out of the bow and only 1 of the 4 bolts was still attached to Mana. Mana is owner finished hull and he opted to not buy the huge internal bobstay tang that comes glassed in offered by Cape George. Instead there were washers and nuts. When we got home to So Cal I removed the tang and heated it and bent it back to fit where it was supposed to be and then epoxied 1/8th inch wood to the sides and front and sent it to Mystic River Foundry who cast it for me. Then I reinstalled it with 1/16th inch larger bolts and added a 12 inch by 1 1/2 inch by 3/16th bronze backing piece that I glassed in front of and glassed into the hull. In 2017 we motored into what was reported to be 19 foot breaking seas in 55 kts again and several days later into 65 kt winds for 12 hours with no ill effects save our old frazzled nerves. The bobstay is threaded both ends and is octagonal. We have all chain rode and before we started always using a bridle at anchor it occasionally made a sort of musical noise as the chain rode across it. Pretty quiet after we started using the bridle though.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I am going to Mana tomorrow and will post a photo afterward. It is really strong in my opinion. Four years ago my son and I were a hundred miles West of Neah Bay at 9 pm idly floating in circles with all sail up awaiting a supposed breath of wind predicted for after midnight. We decided to take naps fully dressed and fell asleep. At midnight the predicted 10 kt wind arrived as 55 kts and 25 foot breaking seas. It took me, mid 60's, 3 hours to get all sail down. An hour and a half of it dragging down the jib, spending 20 seconds out of every minute just holding my breath and my bowsprit under water while my son motored into the waves. Next day we were sailing South and making Mana's best day ever of 172 miles followed by 152 miles. On that second day my son was on the bowsprit watching some porpoises under the bow when he noticed the bobstay tang was yanked out of the bow and only 1 of the 4 bolts was still attached to Mana. Mana is owner finished hull and he opted to not buy the huge internal bobstay tang that comes glassed in offered by Cape George. Instead there were washers and nuts. When we got home to So Cal I removed the tang and heated it and bent it back to fit where it was supposed to be and then epoxied 1/8th inch wood to the sides and front and sent it to Mystic River Foundry who cast it for me. Then I reinstalled it with 1/16th inch larger bolts and added a 12 inch by 1 1/2 inch by 3/16th bronze backing piece that I glassed in front of and glassed into the hull. In 2017 we motored into what was reported to be 19 foot breaking seas in 55 kts again and several days later into 65 kt winds for 12 hours with no ill effects save our old frazzled nerves. The bobstay is threaded both ends and is octagonal. We have all chain rode and before we started always using a bridle at anchor it occasionally made a sort of musical noise as the chain rode across it. Pretty quiet after we started using the bridle though.

Now that's what I call Product Testing! Thanks for sharing.

I have a lot of original bronze on my boat that is 40 years old and still in serviceable condition. I have seen 100 year old bronze fittings at Gannon and Benjamin Boat works in Martha's Vineyard that was cleaned up and put on new wooden boats. So I'm sold on good silicone bronze!
I own a production machine shop and I can, and have, made most of my new rigging parts during this refit. I am seriously considering the silicone bronze rod as well as Aguamet 22 stainless for the bobstay.

My only concern is bending it when in the slip or by some stupid anchor mishap, etc. However, I do know how to straighten it, if that happens.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-06-2019, 08:55   #30

I too am a fan of bronze. Also, as an aside, I meant to mention that we added roller furling on the jib shortly after. The staysail is still hank on but is pretty dry no matter the weather.