Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:47   #1

blocks

Anyone have any preference on long life blocks? I'm going to add some halyards and would like to pick something that will last for a while.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Schaefer last well and are priced pretty good. I think the newer blocks all use better materials than they did 15 years ago and should last. I've found deals on Ronstan blocks from time to time as well.

Try the Defender clearance product lists there are often nice deals on blocks. Given you are talking about the larger ones for a boat like yours you might be able to find something cheaper that way.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 14:06   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
If I had unlimited funds, I would probably go with either Lewmar or Harken

I have found garhauer to be good - they seem well made and robust, but are significantly cheaper than harken/lewmar/ronstan/schaefer, etc.

Whatever brand you choose, make sure you buy the appropriate size for the loads it will support. FWIW, the Harken catalog has a good section on calculating sheet loads, etc.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 15:40   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hey Rebel,
Wow! I was just going to ask the same question. I have a smattering of all kinds but I've heard good things about Garhauer. Anyone use them?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 15:47   #5

Boat: Vancouver 32 cutter
I like Garhauer

I used a lot of Garhauer products on my last boat and was really happy with the value and performance of the blocks and rigid boom vang that I installed. They are also very easy to contact for information and support.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 15:58   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'll second Schaefer.

Most of my 27 YO vessel came with Schaefer and they are still in use. Their customer service is excellent as well.

I was short one self standing halfmoon block to make a set of 6 for the mast halyards. They didn't make them in that size any more but did make a special order just for me.

Also, they sold me the newer version Delrin roller bearing sheaves to replace the old bushing types. And they sold me the newer Nomex/Teflon bushings for the sheaves of my heavy duty foot blocks to replace the bronze bushings.

And I stick with Schaefer when ever possible.
Old 10-01-2008, 13:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I use mostly Garhauer. I've also visited their shop in CA a couple of times. Their office has three or four display units set up in the middle with a whole bunch of their product just hanging around. Took me 10 minutes before I got around to talking to the receptionist/customer service person - almost forgot why I was there.

The only problem I have (and have had) with their larger blocks, is that the cheek extensions, separating the sheeves on multi-blocks, are not of sufficient size to keep the lines set in them (they 'fall' out in light airs, and make it difficult to sheet in as they jam or don't run smoothly). I took one set of triple blocks that I use for my main (6:1) sheet back to them and they tried welding keepers across them, but they still fell out. The old guy built me a new set where the cheeks extend out a bit further - this helped, but still sometimes have a problem.

They were friendly and tried their best to make things right; it is a family run business and that IS their name.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 15:58   #8

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I have Garhauer blocks on the mast collar, for my halyards (x6), vang (x2) and outhaul. I also use garhauer blocks for my spinaker sheets and braces (guys).

Garhauer is significantly cheaper than the alternatives.

I have only had one problem, which was when I accidentally used a series 30 block instead of a series 40 (brain fade) and it saw more load than it probably should have and it no longer runs quite as freely as it should.... but that was my fault (but does emphasise that you should select your block size carefully to suit the maximum load and then some).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 00:01   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Hey Rebel,
Wow! I was just going to ask the same question. I have a smattering of all kinds but I've heard good things about Garhauer. Anyone use them?
JohnL
Have them on my boat John...They look like Jewlry. Use them for the mainsheet system and have them on the rigid vang.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 008.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	2448  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote