Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 13:58   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Asym vs Code 0

Forumers!

Behold the Bavaria C42, a (new) production cruiser that looks like Ikea below and sails fast (modern design) and easy (self-tending jib; Jefa steering) and fits into my price range!!

I have a question about the forestay, which in the picture below is dedicated to an asymmetrical spinnaker that you role out as you go downwind, since that 100% self-tacking jib will get lost behind that mainsail and just flap around somewhere around 160 AWA.... It is a great convenience, of course, to be able to just sit in the cockpit, furl the jib, unfurl the spin, and sail...

However....Would I need some sort of modification to replace that asymmetrical spin with a Code 0?

I'd rather have a Code 0, but I feel like it is going to be heavier and put a lot more load on that forestay, which may have been manufactured for the lighter sail...and I'm not sure the difference is important enough for me to undertake a complex modification.

Thank you for your tolerance of this ignorant question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 4.43.00 PM.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	235168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 4.43.19 PM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	235169  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:06   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Re: Asym vs Code 0

Normally, an asymmetric spinnaker is much larger than a code 0. It is possible the size difference overcomes the sail material weight difference and the two are close to the same overall weight. I'm handwaving here, if you can't tell.....

Nice looking boat!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 14:32   #3

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Asym vs Code 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Normally, an asymmetric spinnaker is much larger than a code 0. It is possible the size difference overcomes the sail material weight difference and the two are close to the same overall weight. I'm handwaving here, if you can't tell.....

Nice looking boat!
As soon as I posted that, I saw a Tartan that has a self-tending jib and a separate stay for a reacher.

But it's $200,000 more expensive!! Out of my price point
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote