Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 13:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50
Should I have the asym repaired?

I got a call from Doyle today. They want $700 to fix my asym. Actually that includes fixing the dowsing sock too, since that needs a repair where the plastic mouth meets the fabric sock. (The thing looks just like a manta ray's mouth.)

The spinnaker is in great condition except for the multiple tears that they are fixing.

The previous owner left the spinnaker in the bag wet for quire some time, so it has stains all over it where the red and blue leaked onto the white.

So after spending $700 I'll have a stained, otherwise excellent spinnaker, with a functional sock.

Question: Should I go for the $700 or am I putting good money after bad? I see used spinnakers on ebay for not that much more. It sure would be good to not have a stained one. The spi is really out there when you're flying it. I'm not sure I want to look like dirty laundry coming in from a distance.

What do you think?
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:37   #2

A new kite for a Bene 50 is ~ $6k so I would fix it and go sailing, stains be damned.

Good luck

Joli
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think Joli's advice is spot on. If you are sure the spin is in good shape after repair go for it. I would definitely not worry about cosmetics for a delta of $5,300. Plenty of other things to spend money on.

The only question I would have is the "multiple tears" part. What tore the spin? Old age under wind pressure? Is it seams coming apart? Do you race? i.e. is the spin mission critical? Do you have an alternate (symetrical) as a spare in a pinch? I have seen good regatta campaigns dashed because of spin failure.

My sense is that once the seams start popping they don't stop.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 15:36   #4

It is ripped in about 5 places, each 1-3 feet long. I don't think it happened in use, it probably happened when it was being dowsed or something.

The asym came with the boat. It wasn't even in the listing, so it was a pleasant surprise when I went through the boat the first time.

Here are some pictures from before it went to Doyle.

Old 24-02-2009, 15:36   #5

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I personally (without enough experience to be called a veteren sailor) would get it fixed. Put it on e-bay as a recently upgraded and checked out by the factory spin sail and then go buy a new one. You should put a reserve on it of 2/3 the new cost.
Old 24-02-2009, 21:37   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
How handy are you with a sewing machine. Used ones are cheap and those repairs look easy. Learn to use a sewing machine. It will save you a lot of money over the years. The sail may looked patched, but it will add character and work fine until you find one you like at a lower price. I paid a lot less than what you quoted for a 1300Sq.ft Asym which has the same cut as the one in your picture. Almost the same colors.
Old 24-02-2009, 21:49   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The spin looks pretty good. Doyle thinks they can fix it. $700 for a spinnaker you didn't know you had?

No brainer. Get it fixed. Forget about the cosmetics. Sometimes it ain't about beauty contest.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 23:10   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Get the asymmetric repaired.

I do forget your intentions but you are going for a long cruise arn't you? If so I would talk to Doyle to reinforce it for heavy weather. See what they say to being able to hold it to 25 kts apparent at 120 degrees wind angle. Then when a squall hits you can drag your butt upstairs, ease off to 150 and down the kite.

The problem we have had (and confirmed in this last leg) that there is precious little wind that is in the pilot charts Force 4 (11-16 kts) its either more, much more, or about to be more or much more. That makes it difficult to set a kite with comfort short handed. i.e it would worry the hell out of me and I would be looking at the sky instead of sleeping.

Maybe its just my year cruising has had higher winds but I don't remember getting a wind thats forecast, or from the forecast direction, or a trade wind of Force 4.
I don't know if all pilot charts are wrong because people till very recently had to estimate wind speed, not accurately measure it.

A $700 Asymmetric Spinnaker is a good cheap sail to not worry about blowing.

However I think you might be using poled out genoas more if sailing the Trades with 2 on board.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 02:24   #9

Thanks Mark, we are coastal criusers, at least this year. Biggest trip will be Long Island to Nantucket and back. Maybe next year something more.

Great insights everyone.