Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2009, 09:27   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
82 Year-Old Man Up the Mast

This old guy banged into my Yacht in Tunisia as he tied up along side me- he's 82 years old and just blew out his sail-as he came in during a storm- and before he went up the mast I was saying to my Girl friend -guys like this should not be sailing out there own at that age-

anyway up the mast he went and wile he was up there- Im watching him I thought maybe I spoke too soon- perhaps hes ok at this age sailing around- maybe theres hope for me !--then I noticed the halyard he was using it was wore out and spliced to a 1/4''line - looked like it was ready to break any moment-

The old guy never steped foot on a boat until he was 72 years old- luck has been with him---so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82years (2).JPG
Views:	230
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	7093   Click image for larger version

Name:	82 years.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	7094  

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 09:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
So far................
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:13   #3

As my ex fighter pilot father always said ," I'd rather be lucky than good"..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 05:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
As my ex fighter pilot father always said ," I'd rather be lucky than good"..
Your Dad was Yankee great pitcher Vernon “Lefty” ("Goofy") Gomez?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lefty.gomez.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	7100  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 06:24   #5

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Condition is more important than age. Ike Hastings is a good example. He is plying the rivers, by himself, on his new 100' sternwheeler.When I visited him this summer he was working away on her, and still sharp as a tack. I beleive he is 83 now.

http://cgee.hamline.edu/rivers/Resources/Voices/ike.htm

That type of elitist thinking has ballooned the cost of boats, and cruising , far beyond what it need be, and beyond the reach of too many low income cruisers, for no benefit. --Brent Swain
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 07:02   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I first met the rock climbing great Fritz Wiesner...

at Seneca Rocks, West Virginia, when he had just turned 82. He wasn't climbing the hardest thing there, or the hardest thing he had ever climbed, but he was still climbing at a fair level... which is to say climbing a mast would have been as nothing, hoisted up by someone else grinding the winch.

We should all hope to stay so focused as these guys on the importance of getting out there and not giving up. I am amazed at the number of 40-year olds who can't see themselves as kids anymore and use that as an excuse not to play.

Fritz was good... and lucky, from the stories I've heard.

Please glance at the post below on Fritz. Amazing guy, pivotal in bringing hard mountaineering to the US.

Fritz Wiessner
Old 14-02-2009, 11:25   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
What A Guy!!!!!!!!!! worth the read!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 13:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I don't know if your sailor is the same one but there is a guy in the med, now?, who should be hanging it up. He's run aground a number of times, been confused about his location, made serious navigation errors requiring Coast Guard rescue, etc. He's going to kill himself if he keeps it up, hopefully he won't take anyone else with him.

It's like the old one who drives at 10mph because that's all he can handle. They are a danger to themselves if ANYTHING requiring quick action happens and a danger to others. Remember the old guy that hit the gas instead of the brake and killed around 5 people in CA a couple of years ago.

More power to those of advancing years who get out their do it. Just hope they have the wisdom to realize that they have limitations.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 17:04   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
[quote=roverhi;254847]. He's run aground a number of times, been confused about his location, made serious navigation errors requiring Coast Guard rescue, etc. He's going to kill himself if he keeps it up, hopefully he won't take anyone else with him."

As a card-carrying member of the Geriatric Sailing Society, I'd like to point out that the same description applies to untold numbers of younger sailors -- ones that have been flamed in these very columns. Incompetence is a hazard no matter what the age of the practitioner, and I hate to see stereotyping of us old farts.

Cheers,

Jimand Ann s/v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 07:18   #10

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
[quote=roverhi;254847]. He's run aground a number of times, been confused about his location, made serious navigation errors requiring Coast Guard rescue, etc. He's going to kill himself if he keeps it up, hopefully he won't take anyone else with him."

Sounds like most of the cruisers I know, including me, (except for the rescue part).

This topic makes me want to make a t-shirt or bumper sticker with an old guy at the helm of a tattered old boat with a caption underneath saying something like, " They can have my boat when they pry my cold, dead, arthritic hand from the tiller"

That type of elitist thinking has ballooned the cost of boats, and cruising , far beyond what it need be, and beyond the reach of too many low income cruisers, for no benefit. --Brent Swain
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 07:28   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
It's like the old one who drives at 10mph because that's all he can handle. They are a danger to themselves if ANYTHING requiring quick action happens and a danger to others.
And yet I keep getting the message from our police departments and government agencies that "speed kills".

I don't know if I have ever heard of one serious accident that was caused by someone going too slow. I have heard of many caused by people going to fast. I have a good friend in the hospital right now, she has been in an induced coma for almost a week, hit by a speeding driver running a red light.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 07:39   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
And yet I keep getting the message from our police departments and government agencies that "speed kills".

I don't know if I have ever heard of one serious accident that was caused by someone going too slow.
Sorry to hear about your friend, but I assure you that people driving too slow are a monstrous hazard down here in south Florida. They become a traffic hazard, and I've seen innumerable wrecks from people taking evasive action and being sideswiped by oncoming traffic. And by the way, driving too slow is also a ticketable offense.

As to the old guy sailing, more power to him as long as he doesn't harm anyone else.

Tags
mast