Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 08:57   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Trident 101/102 Sani Shield Sanitation Hose

I remember reading comments 7 years ago when I needed to replace my sanitation hoses people say that they had never heard of the Trident 101/102 Sani Shield Sanitation Hose ever permeating.

I just want to say that it isn't true!!!

I used it and have chased an odor for a year and telling myself it couldn't be the hose. Once I removed the maceratorator suction hose and took outside and washed it out and then gave the outside a snift, there wasn't any doubt that the hose was permeated.

On a related note I am only going to use the Raritan Sani/Flex Sanitation Hose from now on. It is just easier to work with. I will never unless forced to use that basic white hose!!
Old 26-01-2021, 09:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Trident 101/102 Sani Shield Sanitation Hose

We've had good luck with Sealand, Trident 101 and 105, and Raritan. Note that the Trident 101 is warranted for 10 years against permeation so you have a clear warranty claim for the cost of the hose at a minimum but I'd press for the cost of replacement, especially if it failed in a year. Our client experience is much better than yours; bad batch perhaps? What did Trident say?
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Which "basic white hose" did you use? Sounds like 102...if it is that could be the problem. Both 101 (black) and 102 (white) are double walled rubber hose, identical except for one thing: 102 has a white "skin" on it...and whatever that skin is made of has a history of outgassing a very unpleasant odor for a year or longer. It's not recommended for routes that pass through living areas.

Trident does claim that there's never been a single REPORTED odor permeation failure. I've seen fewer than half a dozen anecdotal claims over the years, but without a photo or other proof that the hose in question actually is 101/102 there's no way to be certain 'cuz Trident has 4 different sanitation hoses that have varying degrees of permeation resistance and you'd be amazed at the number of people who've asked for my help who only know that their hose is Trident (if it actually is!), so assume it's 101 when it's actually #140 or even #148 flex PVC.

I'm not questioning that you have stinky hose, only whether there could be another possible source of it. And unless you start a warranty claim with Trident (they'll ask you to cut off a foot and send it to 'em--WELL WRAPPED in plastic) their claim that there's never been a single REPORTED odor permeation failure remains intact, 'cuz they ain't psychic!
All that said, I full support your decision to switch to Raritan SaniFlex.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 11:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Ummmm Scott.... Trident doesn't have a 105 hose...at least not among their sanitation hoses.

--Peggie
Old 26-01-2021, 12:03   #5
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Which "basic white hose" did you use? Sounds like 102...if it is that could be the problem. Both 101 (black) and 102 (white) are double walled rubber hose, identical except for one thing: 102 has a white "skin" on it...and whatever that skin is made of has a history of outgassing a very unpleasant odor for a year or longer. It's not recommended for routes that pass through living areas.

Trident does claim that there's never been a single REPORTED odor permeation failure. I've seen fewer than half a dozen anecdotal claims over the years, but without a photo or other proof that the hose in question actually is 101/102 there's no way to be certain 'cuz Trident has 4 different sanitation hoses that have varying degrees of permeation resistance and you'd be amazed at the number of people who've asked for my help who only know that their hose is Trident (if it actually is!), so assume it's 101 when it's actually #140 or even #148 flex PVC.

I'm not questioning that you have stinky hose, only whether there could be another possible source of it. And unless you start a warranty claim with Trident (they'll ask you to cut off a foot and send it to 'em--WELL WRAPPED in plastic) their claim that there's never been a single REPORTED odor permeation failure remains intact, 'cuz they ain't psychic!
All that said, I full support your decision to switch to Raritan SaniFlex.

--Peggie
I used the black 101, double walled, wire reinforced, $$$$, hose.

What good is it to a live aboard/cruiser to start a warranty battle about a hose???? What am I going to do, leave the hose off while I wait for a resolution?

So here is a semi "reported" report that a Trident 101 (I assume 102 is same) will in fact permeate.
Old 27-01-2021, 09:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

I have replumbed 2 boats with rigid PVC pipe and flexible Fernco fttings. No pemeation after 20 years on first boat and going on 8 years on current boat. A lot less expensive, but the main reason I chose this route is that I will never have to touch it again

Steve
taylormobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 09:51   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Vetus hose. Very easy to work with
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Ummmm Scott.... Trident doesn't have a 105 hose...at least not among their sanitation hoses.

--Peggie

Peg, my bad; Shields 105!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:32   #9
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I remember reading comments 7 years ago when I needed to replace my sanitation hoses people say that they had never heard of the Trident 101/102 Sani Shield Sanitation Hose ever permeating.

I just want to say that it isn't true!!!

I used it and have chased an odor for a year and telling myself it couldn't be the hose. Once I removed the maceratorator suction hose and took outside and washed it out and then gave the outside a snift, there wasn't any doubt that the hose was permeated.

On a related note I am only going to use the Raritan Sani/Flex Sanitation Hose from now on. It is just easier to work with. I will never unless forced to use that basic white hose!!
Just a 2 month update - i got my into the space where the 101 hose that I replaced was today. The odor that had been in that space for years was gone. So there is little doubt this hose has “ never had a reported odor” was the problem.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:47   #10

What is the review of this hose?
Trident, 148 Series, VAC XHD Sanitation Hose,
Buster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

Schedule 148 sanitation hose is single wall flex PVC that has a high rate of odor permeation failure in a very short time...how quickly varies. It was on one of my own boats for 7 years without a trace of odor. It permeated in less than 90 days on the next boat. Builders use it 'cuz it's cheap and usually doesn't start to stink until after the boat's warranty has expired.

Replacing sanitation hose is not a fun job, so you don't want to use cheap sanitation hose if you only want to do this job ONCE. It's suitable only for toilet intake lines and tank vent lines.

Raritan introduced their SaniFlex hose RaritanSaniFlex hose about 12 years ago and it's become the top rated sanitation hose because it's only proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant but has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin, which makes it a lot easier to use in most job. Raritan claims there have been -0- reported odor permeation failures--in fact they recently doubled their 5 yr warranty against it to 10 years...I haven't heard of a single one either and I'm pretty sure I would have. Defender has it for <$10/ft and they sell it by the foot. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender

--Peggie