Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2022, 14:31   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Splendide washer not working

My Splendide clothes washer (an old one from 2001) has been great for many years, but recently has developed a problem where it doesn't empty the water when it should. Before I dive in to attempt a diagnosis and repair, I thought to ask here for any experience with these machines.

Details of the symptoms:

When I start a cycle it fills, washes, and then stops. I don't hear the pump running and it sits forever waiting for the "empty" signal before filling again for a rinse. If I manually drain it by opening the filter and advance the cycle, it has the same problem on the rinse cycle, it fills, rinses, and then stops. However, if I manually advance it to the spin cycle, now the pump comes on and pumps it dry. So the pump is working and not clogged or anything.

Any ideas for things to check?
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2022, 20:33   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Splendide washer not working

There is a round pressure switch connected by tubing. It senses water in the drum. It's signal shuts off water filling the washer and shuts off the pump when draining. Could be the problem. Otherwise I'd guess the main board.

You could connect across the pressure switch contacts and see if the pump runs.

The Splendie is common to many other brands, all made in the same factory. So most of the parts are the same. Ebay may have the part, search for - washer pressure switch. Find one that looks like yours.
Or try Splendide Laundry Centers - Home for support.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 16:36   #3

Yes, that does seem a likely culprit. I will check it out. I really want to get this machine running again. It can only be removed from my boat with the mast out and pulling the mast is no small task. I just had the mast out recently and thought about replacing the twenty year old W/D, but hey, it's working perfectly why spend the coin on a new one? One week after stepping the mast....boom! FML.
Old 21-08-2022, 17:04   #4

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Mine's in the engineroom and difficult to get out. I lost a motor and motor control board from an overflow. Almost the cost of the washer, so I bought an almost new one and stripped it out.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 11:43   #5

Just to close the loop here, my washer is working again. Not 100% sure what I did, but the problem was likely with the pressure switch and/or the tube leading to it. Without taking the wood cabinet apart, my access was severely limited and I was only able to blindly wiggle connectors, etc. but that did the trick and I'm sleeping on clean sheets again. Phew!

Tags
work