Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 19:37   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Small watermaker 3 gph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
PM sent to Pizzazz for buying a pump. I’ve modified my old PowerSurvivor80E to take a standard 2514 DOW membrane (new pressure vessel) and would like a backup pump as well. I realize I need to add a downstream needle valve to maintain pressure within the pressure vessel, as the original PS80E pump is energy regenerating from the pressure vessel brine discharge line.
How about an image or two. I have a 40E and have been thinking of doing the same thing. I get a severe case of wallet choke every time I look at the price of a replacement membrane from Katadyne.
Old 12-02-2021, 20:01   #62

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
How about an image or two. I have a 40E and have been thinking of doing the same thing. I get a severe case of wallet choke every time I look at the price of a replacement membrane from Katadyne.
It’s nighttime here, and I’m lying on the settee reading interesting CF posts. The watermaker is under the settee.
I got the idea from another CF thread. Basically you buy an off the shelf pressure vessel that fits the DOW 2514 membrane (and the membrane of course). You need to order SS fittings to match the PS high pressure hoses.
Very simple substitution, with great $$$ savings. The new pressure vessel and two membranes (one spare) cost less as I remember than just one Katydyne replacement membrane.
You might just search on the 2514 membrane and find all the components. If not, send a message or post again and I could look through my records (hahahaha) and see exactly what I ordered.
Mañaña off course. I’m still satiated from the delicious dinner I just cooked.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 14:11   #63

Boat: Ted brewer 40

Following. I’m interested in pizzaz’ watermaker. Any updates?
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 14:22   #64

Boat: Mirage 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim francis View Post
Following. I’m interested in pizzaz’ watermaker. Any updates?
Everything you need is in the thread including parts , assembly info, and prices. Buy a pump, membrane, membrane housing, needle valve, pressure gauge, and misc plumbing and you are good to go!

Is there something specific you'd like to know from those of us who have built it already?
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 15:06   #65

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojonesbos View Post
Is there something specific you'd like to know from those of us who have built it already?
I'd like to know more about the noise level. Other posts in this thread suggest that this pump is very loud.

Given that this is only a 3gph design, and may need to run for extended periods (2, 4, 6 hours possibly?) at anchor, from batteries/solar (so no other noise to mask the sound), some further discussion on this point might be good.

How loud is it really? (really loud I'm guessing)

Does anyone have a video of it running?

Has anyone tested some sound proofing?

Remote mount the pump from the membrane maybe, so the pump can go in it's own small sound enclosure?

Thanks
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 15:34   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I'd like to know more about the noise level. Other posts in this thread suggest that this pump is very loud.

Given that this is only a 3gph design, and may need to run for extended periods (2, 4, 6 hours possibly?) at anchor, from batteries/solar (so no other noise to mask the sound), some further discussion on this point might be good.

How loud is it really? (really loud I'm guessing)

Does anyone have a video of it running?

Has anyone tested some sound proofing?

Remote mount the pump from the membrane maybe, so the pump can go in it's own small sound enclosure?

Thanks
Its not quiet, but not outrageously loud. I would not want to have it running under a bunk while I was sleeping but if its below and I am in the cockpit its tolerable. I am planning a reconfigure this spring and will try a little sound proofing. I am going to make a small enclosure for the pump with some noise dampening material and switching from the membrane housing being attached directly to the pump with a nipple to using a short length of hose to separate the two. I am still playing with the final layout and have only messed around with mine so far. But for the moment the plan is for pump and enclosure to go in a cockpit locker and the membrane/valve assembly will be under the galley sink with brine going in the sink drain and fresh water to a Jerry can rather than plumbed into the main tank.

But tradeoff with this style of DIY watermaker, high or low volume, is noise. this youtube vid has one with comparable sound levels
Old 03-03-2021, 15:38   #67

P.S. I have the same motor pump combo as in that video with a larger membrane housing that I am also playing with
Old 03-03-2021, 15:59   #68

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojonesbos View Post
Its not quiet, but not outrageously loud. I would not want to have it running under a bunk while I was sleeping but if its below and I am in the cockpit its tolerable.

I am planning a reconfigure this spring and will try a little sound proofing. I am going to make a small enclosure for the pump with some noise dampening material and switching from the membrane housing being attached directly to the pump with a nipple to using a short length of hose to separate the two...

...this youtube vid has one with comparable sound levels
Thanks! I think that answers most of the noise questions and was probably as expected.

Great that you are planning to test remote mounting the pump in a sound proof enclosure.

Significantly reducing the noise could be a real game changer for this design.

I'm suspecting that a lot of people to which this design may appeal would like it to be able to run quietly in the background for multiple hours during the day.

That most likely means in the afternoon when the battery bank is full but the solar panels are still outputting.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 16:00   #69

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

And I've always had good luck with using layer of sorbothane insulation when mounting pumps and fans to help reduce the noise/vibration transfer.

It won't make it silent but it will make it quieter. I used it most recently under my blower fan, which made a noticeable difference.
Old 04-03-2021, 23:45   #70

I’m pulling the trigger. Gonna order the pump tomorrow. Aloha
Old 05-03-2021, 00:37   #71

Boat: Island Packet 40

Great little pumps however they are only two cylinders which puts a lot of pressure pulses into the output. Gadgets called pulsation dampeners will quieten the noise created by the pulses but I doubt they are available for these small pumps. Using hydraulic hose will help.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:05   #72

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Btw. if you are more driven by budget than energy efficiency, the longevity issues of the pressure washer pumps can be overcome if you take them out of the loop once the system is purged with freshwater or pickle solution.
Quick connectors help doing so. Than drain the pump. A dry pump is much less at risk from corrosion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim francis View Post
I’m pulling the trigger. Gonna order the pump tomorrow. Aloha
Old 18-03-2021, 13:48   #73

Has anybody used 2521 menbrane on Pizzazz unit? The 2514 is menbrane is well documented with this pump.
If so, what kind of performance did you get? PPM, gallons per hour, amps...
racer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 17:41   #74

Boat: O'Day 34

This is the start of the 21" version of this design. The pump is the 105 cam size model. Not sure of final arrangement of components yet.

I like the designs with "all high pressure components in one line with fixed fittings", but for the longer membrane I may opt to put the motor/pump combo upside down in the middle and slightly above the pressure vessel along with a single high pressure hose to the seawater feed port on an elbow fitting. Doing so will allow better protection from water to the motor/pump and possibly better access to remove the membrane for long term pickling and storage.

The only other difference would be the pre-filter. Everything I saw online calls for a 5 micron instead of 20 so I will get a few of both and see how fast the 5 micron will clog up before possibly using a 20 micron.

I will keep this forum posted with final parameters regarding water amount and quality.

Re cost: Pump/motor was under $500 and HTCI vessel/membrane also under $500. I bought all high pressure fittings through Grainger and will try to buy everything else there as well as I think the quality is better then some of the items on Amazon as well as a single source supplier for fittings in case spare parts are needed. I estimate the final version to be slightly below $1,500 but can/could save a substantial amount by using cheaper components. However, I opted for better quality at higher cost that may or may not come in handy down the road.

I hope the attached picture will show up, but that's what I've got so far..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	240429  
MartinFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 01:29   #75

I’m following. I’m currently sailing and am having issues getting to land and fittings and internet. Any chance you could help out and show what was ordered from grainier

I followed op and I have the pump and membrane. I have too many projects right now. I’ll be putting my build up on my channel in the next year or months

Mahalo.

Tags
water, watermaker