Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 06:50   #1

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Saniflow vs Marine Electric Head

Hi,

I've tried to find any information here about Saniflow toilets (around £400) being used in boats and excuse my lack of knowledge but my experience of Saniflow toielts are that unless you go over the top, they cope with normal use of WC paper. Why is that not the case with electric heads on boats?
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 07:02   #2
cruiser

Re: Saniflow vs Marine Electric Head

We've been using regular store bought toilet paper in our Jabsco electric macerating toilets for six years without a single issue. Nothing special just double and single ply, flush with plenty of water. Not a single clog or pump failure.

Not sure where you got the idea that electric heads can't cope with toilet paper.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 08:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

As Kenomac said... I don't know where you got the idea that electric marine toilets can't cope with toilet paper--they all can. Almost all are macerating toilets, a few of which can even chew up a tampon, though a steady diet of them isn't recommended. None can digest a wet wipe.

Saniflo household toilets aren't suitable for boats because they use 4 liters of flush water from the boat's potable water supply per flush, whereas he average marine electric macerating toilet uses 2 liters or less. Not only would a Saniflo fill up a holding tank too quickly (a major consideration here in the US, though maybe not in the UK), that's far more potable water than most boats can spare for toilet flushing.

Electric macerating marine toilets are available in both sea water and fresh water versions. Jabsco makes toilets in the UK...I'd also check out SaniMarin toilets, also a European company. Raritan toilets are top of the line, but only made in the US which makes the price very high due to shipping and other costs of importing to the UK.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 00:17   #4

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Ok got it and thanks 😊
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 01:21   #5

I agree electric freshwater for me and no problems although stuffing it with loo paper isnt a great idea!
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, head, marine