Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 15:39   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Refurbishing ElectroScan MSD - any way to test electrode?

I have an ElectroScan unit pulled from my old boat that was crushed in a collision. Hoping to install it on my next boat, so am cleaning it thoroughly - yes, it was a shitty job ;-) - replacing all rusty fasteners, and preparing to store it for a year or two. Since I have it apart, I was thinking about proactively replacing the electrode pack, but they're pretty pricey. Is there a way to test these electrodes out of the unit?

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Refurbishing ElectroScan MSD - any way to test electrode?

I don't think there is, but best to ask Raritan. Give 'em a call at 800-352-5630 x 3. If the unit was fairly new, the electrode pack may not need replacing. Talk to them about how to store it longterm.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 18:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I don't think there is, but best to ask Raritan. Give 'em a call at 800-352-5630 x 3. If the unit was fairly new, the electrode pack may not need replacing. Talk to them about how to store it longterm.

--Peggie
Thanks, Peggie! I am planning on talking with Raritan this week anyway, but figured it didn't hurt to ask if anyone on the 'net knew. There's a Raritan office right here in Fort Lauderdale if I need to chat in person. Even if my electrode is still good, I'm going to get a spare as I'll undoubted need it eventually.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 10-02-2019, 18:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

The guy in Ft. Lauderdale you want to talk to is Mac McCoy...his direct line is 954-525-0378 x 306.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 19:10   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Top and bottom pairs are directly connected, i.e. four plates are zero ohms between them.
Middle plates are directly connected to each other.
There should be no conductivity between the top and bottom pairs to the middle pair.

Those are the two connectors at the top, i.e. one connector goes to four plates and the other goes to the middle two.

As long as they are electrically connected to the top with no resistance, and they're clean, they should work. It's just copper plate as far as I can tell.

I have stored mine for several years off season with fresh water.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 16:51   #6

Mac at Raritan was great, really helpful!

The way to test out of the boat is to make a bribe with 12.9oz of salt in 3gal fresh water, submerge the electrode and apply 12vdc across the terminal posts, the outer one being negative. Measure current draw, should be > 14 amps. Do this outdoors in a well ventilated area, and do not apply power for more than 2-3 seconds.

Tags
Refurb, rode